Catherine Amirfar is a litigation partner in the International Dispute Resolution Group and Co-Chair of the firm’s Public International Law Group. ...
Read Full Biography
- The United Nations in successfully asserting its rights under the Convention on the Privileges and Immunities of the United Nations and corresponding U.S. law to obtain dismissal of suit against it in federal district court and the United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit.
- The Finnish manufacturer Oy Metsä-Botnia AB in connection with its US$1.3 billion greenfield investment in the Orion pulp mill project in Uruguay and the Case Concerning Pulp Mills on the River Uruguay (Argentina v. Uruguay) in the International Court of Justice.
- American Express Corp. in an intellectual property dispute in U.S. federal court resulting in a landmark decision in favor of its trademark rights in “Blackcard.”
- A European bank in an ICSID case against the Government of Greece related to Greece’s sovereign bond restructuring.
- An investment firm in two Bilateral Investment Treaty cases against the Government of Laos arising under the ICSID Additional Facility Rules and the UNCITRAL Rules.
- Sellers’ Representatives of Landis+Gyr AG in a dispute with a Japanese company related to a $2.3 billion transaction.
- A leading Brazilian company in two ICC arbitrations seated in São Paulo (and parallel litigations in Brazil and France) totaling US$400 million relating to an investment in a Brazilian food retail business.
- The Government of Mexico in Avena and Other Mexican Nationals (Mex. v. U.S.), on its successful claims against the United States for violations of the Vienna Convention on Consular Relations in respect of 52 Mexican nationals sentenced to death in state court proceedings in the United States.
- The petitioner in Medellin v. Texas and Medellin v. Dretke, in which the U.S. Supreme Court addressed the U.S. constitutional issues arising from the President’s and individual Mexican nationals’ efforts to enforce the ICJ judgment in Avena.
- A tire manufacturing company in successful and favorably settled ICDR and CPR arbitrations, respectively, involving a US$20 million dispute over a contract to provide tires for a mining equipment manufacturer.
- A Brazilian battery manufacturing company in a successful ICC arbitration involving US$25 million in damages over a contract purchase price dispute.
- A Chilean natural gas company in an ICC arbitration involving a US$200 million dispute over a long-term supply agreement that settled on favorable terms.
- An Argentine timber company in a U.S. court proceeding (jury trial) involving environmental damage claims of approximately US$30 million against an oil company.
- The United National High Commissioner for Human Rights as amicus curiae in Boumediene v. Bush and Al Odah v. United States, in which the U.S. Supreme Court addressed the rights of the Guantanamo detainees to judicial review of their detention.
- A group of negotiators and experts on the Chemical Weapons Convention as amici curiae in Bond v. United States, in which the U.S. Supreme Court considered a constitutional challenge to the federal statute implementing the Convention.
- NML Capital Limited in a request by Argentina to the International Tribunal for the Law of the Sea for provisional measures against Ghana arising from the arrest in Ghana of an Argentine frigate on NML’s application.
- Bechtel Corporation, Loreal Inc., and Hess Corporation, among others, in successful or favorably settled arbitrations or litigation matters.
- New York University School of Law, 2000, J.D.
- Stanford University, 1995, B.A.