Ethan James is a corporate partner in the firm’s Financial Institutions Group and a member of the firm’s Capital Markets Group. Mr. James advises ...
Read Full Biography
Traditional Capital Markets
- The underwriters in SEC-registered offerings of preferred stock and senior notes guaranteed by RenaissanceRe Holdings Ltd.
- Barclays Capital as representatives of the initial purchasers in a Rule 144A offering of $150 million of senior notes due 2025 by DaVinciRe Holdings Ltd., a sidecar sponsored by RenaissanceRe Holdings Ltd.
- TIAA Asset Management, a subsidiary of TIAA, in its offering of $1.0 billion of 2.950% senior notes due 2019 and $1.0 billion of 4.125% senior notes due 2024. The notes financed in part the redemption of the pre-acquisition debt of Nuveen Investments.
- TIAA in its offering of $1.65 billion of 4.900% surplus notes due 2044 and $350 million of 4.375% fixed-to-floating rate surplus notes due 2054. The surplus notes financed in part TIAA’s acquisition of Nuveen Investments.
- Guardian Life Insurance in its $450 million offering of 4.875% Surplus Notes due 2064.
- Fidelity & Guaranty Life in its $190.6 million initial public offering and its offering of $300 million of 6.375% senior notes due 2021.
- Pacific Life in a tender offer for its 9.25% Surplus Notes due 2039 and its parent company, Pacific LifeCorp, in a related offering of $500 million 5.125% senior notes due 2043.
- Prudential Financial in a resecuritization of real estate mortgage investment conduits and related offering of $1 billion of 2.997% class A notes due 2015 of Prudential Covered Trust 2012-1.
- The initial purchasers on numerous bond offerings by Liberty Mutual, and the dealer managers for Liberty Mutual’s tender offer for multiple series of debt securities.
Other Capital Transactions
- Nephila Capital Limited in fundraising activities related to its catastrophe-focused funds and in the establishment of its U.S. managing general agency.
- Munich Re in establishing its Eden Re II reinsurance sidecar program and the first offering under the program.
- Knighthead Capital Management in its formation and capitalization of Knighthead Holdings Ltd., a Cayman Islands-based annuity provider.
- Swiss Reinsurance Company as sponsor and Swiss Re Financial Products as placement agent in multiple offerings of Swiss Re’s Sector Re sidecar program.
- Resolution Life Holdings in its formation and initial capitalization, including its $587 million acquisition of Lincoln Benefit Life Company from Allstate Life Insurance Company, which included reserve financing, a reinsurance facility and bank debt.
- A private equity fund as lead investor in Altair Re, a reinsurance sidecar established by ACE Tempest Re, the Bermuda reinsurer.
- Assured Guaranty in a $435 million excess-of-loss reinsurance facility designed to address Standard & Poor's revised capital calculations and the subsequent renewal of the facility.
- Berkshire Hathaway in its €600 million purchase, via reinsurance, of the cash flows of a block of life insurance business from CaixaBank.
- AIG with the preparation of a Resolution Plan under section 165 of the Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act.
- Yale Law School, 1994, J.D.
- Ohio State University, 1988, B.S.