Gary Friedman is a tax partner whose practice focuses on the US and international tax aspects of complex, multi-jurisdictional mergers, acquisitions and ...
Read Full Biography
- Nestlé in its $1.4 billion acquisition of the aesthetic dermatology business of Valeant Pharmaceuticals, in connection with Valeant’s pending $49 billion unsolicited offer for Allergan.
- Hertz in the spinoff of its equipment rental business as an independent public company.
- Forest Laboratories in its $2.9 billion acquisition of Aptalis, a gastrointestinal and cystic fibrosis company, from TPG.
- Goldman Sachs and Global Atlantic in the separation of Goldman Sachs’ insurance and reinsurance businesses from Goldman Sachs.
- Tower Group in tax matters relating to its investment in Canopius Group.
- Highland Capital Management in its sale of Communications Corporation of America and White Knight Broadcasting to Nexstar Broadcasting Group and Mission Broadcasting.
- Hertz Global Holdings in its $2.3 billion acquisition of Dollar Thrifty Automotive Group.
- Mitsui & Co. Ltd. in a variety of financing transactions.
- Clayton, Dubilier & Rice in its acquisition of Roofing Supply Group, a distributor of residential and non-residential roofing materials.
- AmBev in its acquisition of Cerveceria Nacional Dominicana.
- Mitsui in its $6.75 billion bridge loan to Corporación Nacional del Cobre de Chile (“CODELCO”) to finance CODELCO’s potential acquisition of up to a 49% interest in Anglo American Sur S.A., a wholly owned subsidiary of Anglo American plc, and in its agreement with CODELCO to provide Mitsui the right to settle a portion of the bridge loan with an indirect 50% interest in the Anglo Sur equity acquired by CODELCO.
- Providence Equity Partners in its $1.9 billion going private acquisition of SRA International, a leading provider of technology and strategic consulting services.
- General Electric in the $5.8 billion repurchase of Vivendi’s interest in NBC Universal and the negotiation of the Vivendi consent to the $38 billion NBC Universal - Comcast joint venture.
- Clayton, Dubilier & Rice in its acquisition of a 42.5% stake in Univar, a global distributor of commodity and specialty chemicals, in a sponsored recapitalization transaction valuing Univar at $4.2 billion.
- Pernod Ricard in its €5.6 billion acquisition of the Vin & Sprit Group, makers of Absolut vodka, from the Kingdom of Sweden.
- Prudential Financial in its $4.8 billion acquisition of Japan-based AIG Star Life Insurance Co. and AIG Edison Life Insurance Company from American International Group.
- Sithe Global Power in a strategic partnership with subsidiaries of Chubu Electric Power Company, Inc. and Toyota Tsusho Corporation including the sale of an aggregate 50% interest in Goreway station, an 875MW combined cycle power generating facility located near Toronto.
- Hisamitsu Pharmaceutical, a leading transdermal patch manufacturer listed on the Tokyo stock exchange, in its $428 million acquisition of NASDAQ-listed Noven Pharmaceuticals via an all-cash tender offer.
- Culligan in the sale of its vended water business owned and operated by Culligan Store Solutions, LLC, to Primo Water Corporation.
- Tower Group in its acquisition of Specialty Underwriters’ Alliance.
- Pernod Ricard in its $575 million sale of the Wild Turkey business to Gruppo Campari.
- The special committee of Tower Group’s board of directors in Tower’s $530 million acquisition of CastlePoint Holdings.
- Providence Equity Partners and its portfolio company US Investigations Services in USIS’ merger with HireRight.
- EDO Corporation in its $1.7 billion acquisition by ITT Corporation.
- Domtar in its $6 billion combination with Weyerhaeuser's fine paper business in a "reverse Morris Trust" transaction; at the time of the transaction, the new Domtar became the largest manufacturer of uncoated freesheet paper in North America.
- Clayton, Dubilier & Rice, The Carlyle Group and Merrill Lynch Global Private Equity, in their $15 billion acquisition of Hertz from Ford.
- Pernod Ricard in its $2.43 billion sale of Dunkin’ Brands, which includes Baskin Robbins, Dunkin’ Donuts and Togo’s Eatery, to a consortium consisting of Bain Capital, The Carlyle Group and Thomas H. Lee Partners.
- CBS in its formation of The CW, a new television network.
- Verizon Communications in its $8.5 billion acquisition of MCI.
- NBC and General Electric in their acquisition of Vivendi Universal Entertainment, resulting in the formation of NBC Universal, a $45 billion entertainment company.
- Clayton, Dubilier & Rice in its $610 million acquisition and financing of Culligan International and its $300 million sale of Jafra Cosmetics International.
- Mitsui on a wide variety of US and international M&A matters.
- New York University, 1990, LL.M.
- University of Chicago Law School, 1983, J.D.
- Princeton University, 1979, A.B.