John Kiernan has been Co-Chair of the firm’s Litigation Department since 2002 and Chair of its Ethics Committee since 1994. His representations have ...
Read Full Biography
- The Federal Reserve Bank of New York in obtaining dismissal of claims exceeding $40 billion against it by a company that received rescue lending and one of its shareholders challenging the terms of the rescue loan.
- The Federal Reserve Bank of New York, the Federal Reserve Board of Governors, the former Secretary of the U.S. Treasury, the former Chairman of the Federal Reserve and others in a trial of claims against the United States arising out of the same rescue loan.
- An NBA team in the first-ever arbitration of the fair market value of a professional sports team’s media rights.
- Obtaining dismissal of a $1.8 billion creditors’ claim against directors of a failed telecommunications company, and winning summary judgment rejecting $1.1 billion in fiduciary duty claims by bankruptcy administrators against directors of a related company.
- Successfully pursuing international arbitrations against the Czech Republic (based on an investor protection treaty) and a Czech business partner (based on contracts) over their mistreatment of the client’s television company, recovering over $400 million for the client.
- Defeating efforts by dissident shareholders to enjoin a proposed $1.1 billion going private transaction by a major publicly traded Midwestern retail chain.
- Successful mediations of patent disputes involving cellular phone geolocation technology and food preservation devices.
- Defense of a major shopping center company against breach of contract and fiduciary duty claims for over $2 billion arising from its purchase of another shopping center partnership.
- Defense and settlement of a $1.2 billion action brought against a leveraged buyout sponsor after the purchased grocery store chain failed.
- An internal investigation of audit practices at a food services company that discovered an $800 million fraud.
- Representing the retail leaseholder for the World Trade Center in disputes over the nature of the reconstruction at the Ground Zero site.
- Defending independent trustees of a major mutual fund company in litigations challenging the fees paid to the funds’ advisor.
- Internal investigation of alleged securities law violations in connection with a significant financially adverse event at a leading pharmaceutical company.
- Harvard Law School, 1980, J.D.
- Harvard University, 1976, B.A.