John Kiernan has been Co-Chair of the firm’s Litigation Department since 2002 and Chair of its Ethics Committee since 1994. His representations have ...
Read Full Biography
- The Federal Reserve Bank of New York in obtaining dismissal of claims exceeding $40 billion against it by a company that received rescue lending and one of its shareholders challenging the terms of the rescue loan.
- The Federal Reserve Bank of New York, the Federal Reserve Board of Governors, the former Secretary of the U.S. Treasury, the former Chairman of the Federal Reserve and others in a trial of class action claims against the United States arising out of the same rescue loan.
- An NBA team in the first-ever arbitration of the fair market value of a professional sports team’s media rights.
- Directors of a failed telecommunications company in obtaining dismissal of a $1.8 billion creditors’ claim against them, and directors of a related company in winning summary judgment rejecting $1.1 billion in fiduciary duty claims against them by bankruptcy administrators.
- An international television company in successfully pursuing international arbitrations against the Czech Republic (based on an investor protection treaty) and a Czech business partner (based on contracts) over their mistreatment of the company, winning and recovering over $400 million for the client.
- One of the largest manufacturers of personal computers in defending numerous consumer fraud class actions relating to claimed performance defects.
- A major publicly traded Midwestern retail chain and its directors, in defeating efforts by dissident shareholders to enjoin a proposed $1.1 billion going private transaction.
- A cellular phone geolocation company, a maker of food preservation devices and a consortium of lenders to an airport development project in successful litigations and mediations of patent disputes.
- A major shopping center company in defending against breach of contract and fiduciary duty claims for over $2 billion arising from its purchase of another shopping center partnership.
- A leveraged buyout sponsor in defense and settlement of a $1.2 billion action brought against it after the purchased grocery store chain failed.
- A food services company in an internal investigation of its audit practices following its discovery of an $800 million fraud.
- The retail leaseholder for the World Trade Center in disputes over the nature of the reconstruction at the Ground Zero site.
- Independent trustees of a major mutual fund company in defending litigations challenging the fees paid to the funds’ advisor.
- A leading pharmaceutical company in an internal investigation of alleged securities law violations relating to a significant financially adverse event.
- Harvard Law School, 1980, J.D.
- Harvard University, 1976, B.A.