Michael Blair is the firm’s Presiding Partner. Mr. Blair has served as lead counsel in a host of major M&A transactions, advised senior executives ...
Read Full Biography
- The supervisory board of ABN Amro in its €72 billion combination with a consortium led by Royal Bank of Scotland (the IFLR 2008 Europe Awards named this transaction “M&A Deal of the Year”), and the $21 billion sale of its LaSalle Bank subsidiary to Bank of America.
- Phelps Dodge in its $26 billion acquisition by Freeport-McMoRan Copper & Gold, forming the world’s largest publicly traded copper company, and and the largest North American-based mining company.
- Phelps Dodge in its $40 billion agreement to combine with Canadian mining companies Inco and Falconbridge (later terminated).
- AXA Financial in the sale of its 70% interest in Donaldson, Lufkin & Jenrette to Credit Suisse as part of an $11.5 billion transaction.
- Gary S. Stein, as trustee and conservator relating to orders by the New Jersey Casino Control Commission, in the sale of the Atlantic City Tropicana Casino business.
- AXA Financial in its $2.3 billion acquisition of The MONY Group, an insurance and thrift holding company.
- AXA Financial in the $9.2 billion sale of the remaining 40% in AXA Financial to AXA S.A. that AXA S.A. did not already own.
- The special committee of Tower Group’s board of directors in Tower’s $530 million acquisition of CastlePoint Holdings.
- The Special Committee of the Board of Highbury Financial in the sale of Highbury to Affiliated Managers Group. (2009)
- Phelps Dodge in its simultaneous unsolicited exchange offers for Cyprus Amax Minerals Company and Asarco in what is believed to be the only such "double-hostile" transaction ever attempted, and its ultimate $1.8 billion acquisition of Cyprus Amax.
- U.S. Life in its $1.8 billion merger with American General.
- Phelps Dodge in its $600 million sale of Columbian Chemical Company to One Equity Partners, an affiliate of JP Morgan Chase, and DC Chemical, a South Korean chemical company.
- Thames Water in its $923 million acquisition of E'Town Corporation.
- Protective Life in its $316 million acquisition of United Investors Life Insurance Company from Liberty National Life Insurance Company, a unit of Torchmark.
- AXA Financial in its $1.5 billion acquisition of The MONY Group.
- University of Chicago Law School, 1981, J.D.
- Yale University, 1977, B.A.