Michael Devins is a member of the firm’s Mergers & Acquisitions, Securities and Insurance Industry Groups. His practice focuses primarily ...
Read Full Biography
- J.C. Flowers in its acquisition of AmeriLife Group.
- AmRisc management in its purchase of American Coastal Insurance Company from BB&T, and its sale of a majority interest in AmRisc, a managing general agency, to BB&T.
- HC2 Holdings in its acquisition of American Financial Group’s long-term care businesses.
- Munich Re in establishing its Eden Re II reinsurance sidecar program and the first offering under the program.
- Tiptree Financial in the insurance aspects of its agreement to acquire Fortegra Financial in a public merger transaction valued at approximately $218 million.
- Front Street Re in an annuity reinsurance transaction with Bankers Life Insurance Company.
- AXA Liabilities Managers in U.S. legal and regulatory matters related to the pending acquisition by its investment vehicle, AXA DBIO, of the international subsidiaries of GLOBALE Rückversicherungs-AG.
- Forethought Financial Group in its cash merger with a subsidiary of Global Atlantic Financial Group.
- Crump Group in the sale of its life insurance and property casualty insurance divisions to BB&T.
- Cigna in regulatory matters relating to its $3.8 billion acquisition of HealthSpring.
- Harbinger Group in its $350 million acquisition of Old Mutual U.S. Life Holdings.
- Discovery Communications in its acquisition of BBC Worldwide’s 50% interest in the BBC Worldwide-Discovery joint ventures for Animal Planet and Liv (formerly People + Arts).
- Sun Life Financial and Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada in Sun Life’s sale of its life retrocession business to Berkshire Hathaway Life Insurance Company of Nebraska.
- Third Point in connection with the formation and initial capitalization of Third Point Reinsurance Ltd.
- Protective Life Insurance Company in the $628.1 million acquisition, together with Athene Holding Ltd., of Liberty Life Insurance Company, the U.S. life insurance and annuity business of Royal Bank of Canada, and its $316 million acquisition of United Investors Life Insurance Company from Torchmark Corporation.
- American International Group in the proposed sales of its Asian life insurance unit, American International Assurance, to Prudential plc for $35.5 billion and its Taiwanese life insurance unit, Nan Shan Life Insurance Company, to Primus Financial Holdings and China Strategic Holdings for $2.15 billion.
- Prudential Financial in the combination of its retail securities business, Prudential Securities, with Wachovia Securities to create the third largest brokerage firm in U.S. and in its $4.5 billion sale of such interest to Wells Fargo.
- Hannover Re in its acquisition of the ING individual life reinsurance business from Scottish Re Group.
- Cerberus Capital Management in the insurance aspects of its $14 billion acquisition of a majority interest in GMAC from General Motors and its $7.4 billion acquisition of a majority interest in Chrysler Group and its related financial services business from Daimler Chrysler.
- Merrill Lynch in the sale of Merrill Lynch Life Insurance Company and ML Life Insurance Company of New York to AEGON for $1.3 billion.
- Cerberus Capital Management and MassMutual Capital Partners in their acquisition of a majority interest in Scottish Re Group.
- Stone Point Capital in the acquisition of a majority interest in Fiserv Insurance Solutions from Fiserv.
- J.C. Flowers & Co. in its acquisition of Crump Group from Marsh & McLennan; in the acquisition by Crump Group of the BISYS Insurance Services and BISYS Retirement Services business divisions from Citigroup; and in the sale of Crump Group’s life insurance and property casualty insurance divisions to BB&T.
- Stone Point Capital in the formation of Harbor Point Re and the acquisition by Harbor Point Re of the Chubb Re business of The Chubb Corporation.
- ACE Limited in its sale of three subsidiaries–American Reinsurance Company, Brandywine Reinsurance Co. (UK) Ltd. and Brandywine Reinsurance Company S.A.–to Randall & Quilter Investment Holdings Limited.
- Prudential Financial in the sale of its personal lines property and casualty insurance businesses in four separate transactions to Liberty Mutual Group, Palisades Safety and Insurance Association, Nationwide Mutual Insurance Company and Haverford (Bermuda).
- Georgetown University Law Center, 1998, J.D.
- University of Toronto, 1992, B.A.