William Chua is a corporate partner based in Hong Kong. Mr. Chua is a broad-gauged transactional lawyer with deep experience in private equity and strategic ...
Read Full Biography
Private Equity/Mergers & Acquisitions
- Polyus Gold International in its sale of up to a $1.4 billion stake in PJSC Polyus to Fosun International.
- Hony Capital in its follow-on investments in WeWork Companies and the formation of the Greater China operations of WeWork Companies.
- Capital Group in its acquisition of an equity stake in Intas Pharmaceuticals, one of the largest pharmaceutical companies in India from ChrysCapital, an India-focused private equity firm.
- HarbourVest Partners in various co-investment transactions in the healthcare and specialty foods sectors in Australia.
- Hony Capital in its investment in Nasdaq-listed FibroGen, a U.S.-based biopharmaceutical company.
- Ally Bridge in its PIPEs transaction with Sorrento Therapeutics.
- D.E. Shaw in the restructuring of Kaisa, a Hong Kong-listed PRC property developer.
- Hony Capital in its investment in WeWork Companies, which valued the company at approximately $16 billion.
- A consortium of investors, led by FountainVest Partners and Carlyle Group, on the $3.6 billion leveraged buyout of Nasdaq-listed Focus Media.
- Alibaba Group in its joint venture with SoftBank and Foxconn Technology and its investment in SoftBank Robotics Holdings Corp.
- Alibaba Group in the structuring, negotiation and documentation of various strategic investment, private equity, growth capital and joint venture transactions globally.
- Goldman Sachs Principal Investment Area on various private equity investments in China across various industries, including TMT, education, water purification and treatment, and healthcare.
- Standard Chartered Private Equity on various special situations transactions in the solar, renewable energy and retail sector in China, including straight equity investments and structured debt instruments.
- Telstra International Holdings Limited in its divestiture of SouFun Holdings through a U.S. IPO transaction and concurrent sale of remaining equity interests to a consortium of private equity funds.
- Anheuser-Busch InBev in its $1.8 billion disposition of Oriental Brewery to KKR.
- Nasdaq-listed ASE Test in its “going private” scheme of arrangement with NYSE-listed Advanced Semiconductor Engineering.
- China Renaissance Capital Investment in its acquisition of various limited partnership interests from various global financial institutions.
- Alibaba Group in its acquisition of Lazada Group, a Southeast Asia focused e-commerce company.
- Various multinational corporations in restructuring, spin-off and asset divestiture transactions involving its Asian/China operations.
Debt and Acquisition/Leveraged Finance
- AIA Group in its $500 million offering in Taiwan of 4.47% senior unsecured fixed rate notes due 2047.
- Alibaba Group in its multiple concurrent offerings of unsecured notes with an aggregate principal amount of $8 billion.
- Focus Media in its $1.5 billion acquisition financing for its LBO, in the form of senior secured term loans, bridge-to-cash facility and SBLC financing, together with proposed bridge financing and high yield bond takeout.
- Yue Xiu Enterprises in its $1.5 billion bridge loan financing facility for its acquisition of HKSE-listed Chong Hing Bank.
- Margin loan financing transactions involving publicly traded equity securities.
- Hutchison Whampoa in multiple offerings of guaranteed notes and hybrid perpetual capital securities totaling over $6 billion.
- China Oriental Group in tender offers and consent solicitations for multiple series of its outstanding high yield notes.
- Jaguar Land Rover, Tata Motors and Jingrui Properties in multiple offerings of high yield notes totaling over $2 billion.
- P.T. Newmont Nusa Tenggara in a secured revolving credit facility from a consortium of international and Indonesian commercial banks to fund the operations of the Batu Hijau copper-gold mine in Indonesia.
- Goldman Sachs Asia Special Situations Group in a debt exchange transaction involving swapping second lien loans for newly issued high yield bonds of Global AT&T Electronics (formerly known as United Test & Assembly Center).
- Anheuser-Busch InBev in a contingent value rights instrument, mezzanine financing and PIK notes in connection with the sale of Oriental Brewery to KKR.
Capital Markets and Securities
- Alibaba Group in its $25 billion SEC-registered initial public offering and New York Stock Exchange listing.
- HKSE-listed Power Assets Holding in its $3.1 billion spin-off of Hong Kong Electric using a share stapled unit structure issued through a holding company of Hong Kong Electric and a fixed singe investment trust holding the ordinary shares of the holding company via an initial public offering and listing on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange.
- Tata Motors Limited in its $1.5 billion SEC-registered rights offering in the U.S. and concurrent public rights offering in India.
- Nasdaq-listed China Natural Resources in its spin-off via a listing by introduction of Feishang Anthracite.
- Autohome, SouFun, Mindray Medical International, China Nepstar, Chunghwa Telecom and Hutchison Telecom International in SEC-registered IPOs and U.S. listing transactions.
- Alibaba.com, Phoenix Healthcare Group, Shanghai Pharmaceuticals, Regina Miracle International, Ozner Water International and Universal Medical in Hong Kong initial public offerings and listings transactions.
- Ant Financial (formerly Alipay) in the structuring, negotiation and documentation of various strategic investment and joint venture transactions globally relating to online payments and financial services.
- Acquisition of HKSE-listed Chong Hing Bank via a partial voluntary general offer by Yue Xiu Enterprises.
- Initial public offerings and listings by AIA, China Pacific Insurance, New China Life Insurance, Ping An Insurance and People’s Insurance (Group) Company of China.
- American International Group’s global investment arm in various investments as well as divestitures regionally in Asia.
- Temasek in its proposed acquisition of a significant strategic equity stake in a leading publicly-listed insurance company in China.
- Bank of China in its strategic equity sales to Royal Bank of Scotland Group, Temasek, UBS and Asian Development Bank.
- Securities offerings and other capital raising transactions by Bank of China, Bank of Communications, Bank of Chongqing, Bank of China Hong Kong, Standard Chartered Bank, Argentaria (now BBVA), Unibanco-Uniao de Bancos Brasileiros, Fifth Third Bank and Thai Farmers Bank (now Kasikornbank).
- The principal investment divisions of Goldman Sachs, Standard Chartered and UBS in various investments and acquisition in Asia.
- Harvard Law School, 1994, J.D.
- Princeton University, 1991, A.B.