Christopher Tahbaz serves as Debevoise & Plimpton’s General Counsel. A litigator and arbitrator with a broad range of U.S. and international ...
Read Full Biography
- Macau-based Sanum Investments and Netherlands-based Lao Holdings, NV in bilateral investment treaty arbitration claims against the Government of Laos.
- Francesco Becchetti and five other Italian investors in ICSID proceedings against Albania arising out of claimants’ investments in a hydroelectric plant and a media company, winning a historic order of provisional measures suspending criminal and extradition proceedings, and resulting in a favorable award.
- A major U.S. financial services company in an ICC arbitration seated in Hong Kong, in a dispute worth over $500 million concerning a significant corporate transaction.
- Two investment funds in a series of disputes relating to an investment in a restructured Brazilian consumer products business. The representation includes an ICC arbitration seated in Saõ Paulo and coordination of litigation proceedings in Brazil and elsewhere.
- An Asia-based global manufacturer in the solar power industry in an LCIA arbitration, involving claims of more than €200 million.
- A Chinese EPC contractor in an ICC arbitration concerning the construction of a coal-fired power generation facility in Central America, with more than $1 billion at stake.
- A Southeast Asian bank in a post-acquisition dispute, under which the governing agreement was subject to arbitration in the Singapore International Arbitration Centre.
- Hyundai Heavy Industries in an ICC arbitration involving disputes between the shareholders of Hyundai Oilbank Ltd. (HDO), South Korea’s fourth largest oil refining and marketing company, winning the largest ICC award issued at the time and Global Arbitration Review’s "Arbitration Win of the Year" (2010).
- Asia-based clients operating in the aerospace, telecom, pharmaceutical, and oil and gas sectors in pre-arbitration advice and claims analyses.
- U.S.-based clients in defense of a Section 1782 discovery request in U.S. federal court, in litigation and in arbitration proceedings pending outside the U.S. The proceeding ended with an order denying the request as it related to the foreign arbitration, and a stay of the request as it related to the foreign litigation.
- An Asian steel manufacturer in winning a complete victory in an ICC arbitration, in which claimants sought damages in excess of $400 million for contract and tort claims arising from a failed M&A transaction.
- Defending a hedge fund manager in AAA/ICDR arbitration, in which claimants sought damages related to the operation of a joint venture formed to market hedge funds in Asia. The representation ended in a favorable settlement for our client.
- Forest Laboratories and Forest Pharmaceuticals in the settlement of civil and criminal investigations led by the United States Department of Justice and the United States Attorney’s Office for the District of Massachusetts, and related civil qui tam litigation, regarding marketing, promotional and other activities for its products Celexa, Lexapro and Levothroid.
- A group of investment funds, defeating a request for a temporary restraining order and preliminary injunction (and later obtaining complete dismissal of the underlying action) that, if granted, would have restricted our clients’ ability to transfer their investment in a Central Asian oil and gas venture.
- Columbia University, 1986, B.A.
- Columbia Law School, 1990, J.D.