Conway Blake is an associate based in the London office. He is a member of the International Dispute Resolution Group, where his practice focuses on international ...
Read Full Biography
- The State of Qatar and Qatari entities and individuals in international claims arising out of the measures imposed by the United Arab Emirates, Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, and Egypt against Qatar, including twice prevailing in proceedings on provisional measures before the International Court of Justice against the United Arab Emirates, and in connection with investment arbitrations and claims in other international tribunals.
- A sovereign state in an arbitration brought under the Energy Charter Treaty and the UNCITRAL Rules relating to an alleged expropriation.
- Tatneft in its victory in the English Court of Appeal in Tatneft v Bogolyubov & others.
- Royal Dutch Shell and The Shell Petroleum Development Company of Nigeria in the successful dismissal of claims in the English Court of Appeal regarding alleged oil spills in Ogoniland. Lord Goldsmith QC represented the client as advocate during the High Court and Court of Appeal hearings on the case. The High Court decision was named by The Lawyer as one of the top 20 cases of the year.
- Mobile TeleSystems in its investor-state arbitration against Uzbekistan brought under the Additional Facility of the International Centre for the Settlement of Investment Disputes (ICSID), including successfully defending an Article 45(6) application.
- A Canadian mining group in a dispute with the government of an African country, concerning claims of breach of the tax stabilisation and other provisions of an agreement for the operation of a copper treatment facility, and an expropriation of certain of the mining company’s rights.
- British Caribbean Bank Ltd, in successfully defending anti-arbitration injunction proceedings brought by the Government of Belize to avoid arbitration under a BIT in the courts of Belize and the Caribbean Court of Justice (before which Debevoise is believed to have been the first non-Caribbean firm to argue a case).
- An international organization in an arbitration brought by a private party under a Headquarters Agreement with a host state.
- A party bringing proceedings before the European Court of Human Rights under Article 6 of the European Convention on Human Rights.
- Human Dignity Trust in a joint intervention on behalf of the Human Dignity Trust, International Committee of Jurists and Commonwealth Lawyers Association, which saw a law in Belize that disproportionately affects homosexual men ruled unconstitutional.
- BPP Law School, 2010, L.P.C.
- University of Cambridge, 2010, Ph.D.
- University of Cambridge, 2006, LL.M.
- University of the West Indies, 2004, LL.B.