J. Robert Abraham is a senior associate in the Litigation Department and a member of the Commercial Litigation, Antitrust, and Healthcare & Life Sciences ...
Read Full Biography
- Solenis, a leading global producer of specialty chemicals, in its acquisition of German chemical producer SCL.
- YPF S.A., as a co-defendant with the Argentine Republic, in litigation brought by the Petersen Energia and Eton Park funds in the S.D.N.Y. arising from Argentina’s 2012 expropriation of a controlling stake in YPF.
- Peabody Energy Corp., a leading coal producer, in the FTC’s challenge to its joint venture with Arch Resources, Inc.
- A major pharmaceutical company in defeating nine motions to certify classes of consumers and third-party payors and obtaining dismissal of all remaining claims in MDL actions alleging RICO and consumer fraud violations based on alleged fraudulent promotion of antidepressants.
- A major pharmaceutical company in obtaining dismissal of state law claims in First Circuit decision marking the first time since Wyeth v. Levine that a federal appellate court dismissed claims against a brand-name drug manufacturer pursuant to the “impossibility” preemption doctrine.
- A major pharmaceutical company in obtaining dismissal of qui tam action under the False Claims Act relating to marketing of prescription drug due to unethical behavior by relator’s counsel. In its dismissal, the district court, in addressing a novel legal issue, admonished counsel for obtaining medical information from physicians by engaging in “an elaborate scheme of deceptive conduct.”
- J.C. Flowers in litigation brought by the MF Global bankruptcy trustee seeking to recover dividends paid in connection with preferred stock.
- Notz, Stucki et Cie, its directors, and related entities, in litigation related to substantial investments with Bernard L. Madoff Investment Securities, in obtaining dismissal of investor class action litigation purporting to assert claims for fraud and breach of common law duties relating to one of the firm's managed funds, and in adversary proceedings brought by the Trustee of the BLMIS estate in the bankruptcy proceeding.
- Dennis Kozlowski, former CEO of Tyco, in defending action brought by Tyco seeking forfeiture and clawback of compensation and severance benefits.
- Independent directors of News Corporation in allegations relating to phone-hacking in the United Kingdom.
- Solenis, a Clayton, Dubilier & Rice portfolio company, in its combination with BASF's paper and water chemicals business.
- Columbia Law School, 2010, J.D.
- Cornell University, 2007, B.A.