John Gleeson is a trial and appellate lawyer and company advisor who was a federal judge for 22 years before joining the firm in 2016. He is a litigation ...
Read Full Biography
- A prominent hedge fund seeking advice regarding potential outcomes of a corporate criminal investigation, and how they might affect an investment opportunity.
- Appointed as amicus curiae to argue against dismissal of false statement charge in United States v. Michael Flynn, and to advise court regarding potential perjury prosecution.
- Corporate governance presentation to the Board of Directors of a major insurance company.
- Dozens of inmates seeking relief in federal courts around the country from onerous sentences resulting from outdated mandatory sentencing provisions that were disproportionately invoked against Black men.
- A death row inmate seeking a new trial based on explicit racial animus in jury deliberations.
- A major New York health insurance company and its subsidiary in a qui tam suit regarding the alleged engagement of half-billion dollar accounting fraud, obtaining a significant client victory in the form of a settlement and a complete voluntarily dismissal of the claims with prejudice.
- McKinsey & Company in multiple bankruptcy proceedings and a civil RICO action relating to its disclosures as debtor advisor.
- The Alavi Foundation in a civil forfeiture action, resulting in the successful reversal of adverse jury verdicts by the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit.
- A multinational bank in a challenge to an order imposing sanctions based on alleged spoliation of evidence.
- Forest Laboratories in a False Claims Act case, resulting in dismissal of all claims based on unethical conduct of plaintiff’s counsel.
- A global pharmaceutical company in a Board presentation regarding risk management, communication with senior management, and crisis prevention.
- A large insurance company in affirmative litigation against numerous physicians based on unjust enrichment.
- Expert witness in Greece on U.S. Deferred Prosecution Agreements, resulting in the acquittal of the client.
- Successful mediation of various commercial disputes involving claims of up to more than $1 billion.
- A multinational mining company in a civil action alleging securities fraud, resulting in a decision dismissing the complaint with prejudice.
- Two prominent individuals (in separate cases) targeted by extortion threats, resulting in both cases in the threatening parties abandoning their efforts.
- One of the world’s premiere law firms in a malpractice claim.
- A leading consulting firm in the complete dismissal of a civil RICO action.
- A multinational manufacturing company in a Deferred Prosecution Agreement and a court-appointed Monitor.
- A multinational bank in affirmative and defensive litigation arising out of a large hotel chain’s data breach.
- Membership on a Special Litigation Committee of a Fortune 500 company.
- A leading federal judge in defending against a petition for a writ of mandamus relating to a jury nullification defense.
- A bank officer in the government’s RMBS-related FIRREA investigation.
- An internationally renowned law firm providing litigation advice regarding FIRREA.
- A prominent hedge fund in its dealings with the SEC regarding fee and expense remediation issues.
- A large insurance company in a putative class action challenging out-of-network reimbursement rates.
- A global insurance company in replacing the senior management of a subsidiary.
- A law firm and two of its partners in the government’s criminal and regulatory investigations of their client.
- The United States Department of Justice as a consultant in a civil rights matter.
- Take-Two Interactive Software in the first New York case to address right of publicity claims within video games, securing dismissal of two cases brought by Lindsay Lohan and another celebrity concerning the alleged use of their likenesses in the Grand Theft Auto video game.
- Two large holders of intellectual property rights as the lead arbitrator in their contract dispute.
- University of Virginia School of Law, 1980, J.D.
- Georgetown University, 1975, B.A.