Laura Sinisterra is a member of the firm’s International Dispute Resolution Group in New York. Her practice focuses on international investment and ...
Read Full Biography
- Freeport-McMoRan and Sociedad Minera Cerro Verde in an ICSID arbitration brought against the Government of Peru under the United States–Peru Free Trade Agreement, with claims in excess of US$1 billion. The dispute arises out of the Government’s imposition of royalties, taxes, and penalties and interest against Sociedad Minera Cerro Verde—one of the world’s most productive copper mines.
- A North American investment company in a dispute against the Republic of Peru under the terms of a Free Trade Agreement, worth over $590 million.
- Perenco Ecuador, prevailing on novel jurisdictional and merits issues in an ICSID arbitration arising out of the Republic of Ecuador’s unilateral increase of its participation to 99% of all revenues from oil sales above a fixed “reference price” and its declaration that Perenco’s contracts had come to an end. Perenco is now entitled to approximately US$435 million, net of cost recovery and other factors, which is the largest compensation amount that any investment tribunal has awarded against Ecuador for its imposition of Law 42.
- SMM Cerro Verde Netherlands B.V. in an ICSID arbitration brought against the Government of Peru under the Netherlands–Peru BIT, with claims in excess of US$250 million. The dispute arises out of the Government’s imposition of royalties, taxes, and penalties and interest against Sociedad Minera Cerro Verde—one of the world’s most productive copper mines.
- An engineering and commissioning contractor in an AUS$2 billion ICC Singapore arbitration concerning the disputed termination of an EPC subcontract to build a captive Combined Cycle power station on an LNG facility.
- The Republic of Iraq in a complete dismissal of claims for over US$650 million brought by Agility Warehousing Company relating to a telecommunications investment, substantially prevailing on jurisdictional objections and achieving a complete victory for the Republic on the merits with a full award of costs, in the first ICSID arbitration brought against the Republic. The Debevoise team was recognized as The American Lawyer’s Litigators of the Week for their win.
- The Republic of Iraq in successfully defending ICSID claims brought by Itisaluna Iraq LLC and others under the OIC Agreement arising out of a dispute concerning the telecommunications sector. In the jurisdictional stage, we contended that the Parties to the dispute had not consented in writing to submit the dispute to ICSID arbitration. The tribunal dismissed all claims for lack of jurisdiction and awarded close to two-thirds of costs to the Republic.
- Harvard Law School, 2014, Master of Laws
- Universidad de Los Andes, 2008, Law Degree