Mai Shapiro is an international counsel in the Tax Department and is based in the firm’s Hong Kong office. Ms. Shapiro has significant experience ...
Read Full Biography
- Baring Private Equity Asia in the formation of a continuation fund to acquire a portfolio company from a prior fund.
- Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan in its investment in The National Investment and Infrastructure Fund of India.
- Baring Private Equity Asia in the financings for Funds IV, V and VI and its Asia Real Estate Fund with Citibank.
- HarbourVest Partners in its direct investment in Janalakshmi Financial Services, a non-banking financial services company in India.
- Southern Capital in the formation of Southern Capital Fund III, a $408 million Asia buyout fund.
- Southern Capital in a fund restructuring involving the transfer of assets from Mulberry Asia Fund II into a new fund established for a consortium led by AlpInvest Partners, and a stapled commitment by the same consortium into Southern Capital Fund IV.
- CDH Investments in its formation of CDH Growth Fund III (USD Parallel), a $340 million China growth capital fund.
- Ontario Teachers' Pension Plan Board in their investment in a $4 billion Asia buyout fund.
- Morgan Stanley Capital Partners in the formation of North Haven Thai Fund, a $440 million Thai buyout fund.
- Baring Private Equity Asia in the formation of BPEA RE II, a $1 billion pan-Asian real estate fund.
- Advantage Partners in the formation of its inaugural Asia Fund investing in small to mid-cap companies across Asia, with total commitments of $380 million.
- VIG Partners in the formation of VIG Partners International Fund III, a $600 million fund targeting investment in Korea.
- Hony Capital in the formation of Hony Capital Fund VIII, a $2.2 billion China buyout fund.
- Navis Capital Partners in the formation of Navis Asia Fund VII, a $1.4 billion Asia buyout fund.
- Hony Capital in its strategic investment in, and related cooperation arrangements with, as well as follow-on investment and subsequent corporate restructuring transactions involving, the WeWork Companies.
- HarbourVest Partners, Neuberger Berman, HQ Capital and Idinvest Partners in the acquisition of limited partnership interests and a related stapled investment in funds managed by Mandarin Capital Partners.
- Nereus Capital in its joint venture with Hareon Solar and Treasury Group to invest in solar projects in India.
- American International Group in the sale of its Taiwan consumer and SME businesses to Nan Shan Life Insurance in Taiwan.
- Ingenico in its strategic partnership with Fosun International and acquisition by Fosun of a 20% minority stake in Ingenico’s Chinese activities.
- Baring Private Equity Asia, in the formation of Baring Asia Private Equity Fund VI, a $4 billion private equity fund, and, at the time of final close, the largest private equity fund ever raised by an Asia-based manager.
- HarbourVest Partners in the secondary acquisition of limited partnership interests in Doughty Hanson & Co Limited Partnerships IV and V, and proposed commitment to Doughty Hanson & Co Limited Partnerships VI, in a stapled transaction.
- Quilvest in its structuring of a separate account with a sovereign wealth fund.
- The Carlyle Group in the formation of Fosun-Carlyle (Shanghai) Equity Investment Fund, a $100 million China buyout/growth capital fund.
- Morgan Stanley Capital Partners in the formation of Hangzhou Riverbank Equity Investment Partnership, a ¥1.7 billion China buyout and growth capital fund.
- The Carlyle Group in its formation of Carlyle Beijing Partners Fund, a ¥2.550 billion China growth capital fund.
- Baring Private Equity Partners (India) in the formation of Baring India Private Equity Fund III, a $562 million India and South Asia growth capital fund.
- University of Virginia School of Law, 2003, J.D.
- Harvard University, 1997, B.A.