Matthew J. Sorensen is an associate in the Litigation Department whose practice focuses on representing clients in the insurance, private equity, hedge ...
Read Full Biography
- Prudential Financial, John Hancock Life Insurance Company, AXA Equitable, Guardian Life, Massachusetts Mutual and Teachers in a qui tam complaint, brought under the New York False Claims Act, seeking over $14.5 billion in damages for alleged failures to escheat life insurance benefits to the state. This followed successful representations of each firm in a years-long investigation by the New York Attorney General (NYAG) into the escheatment practices of the life insurance industry, at the conclusion of which NYAG declined to pursue the claims itself.
- The D. E. Shaw Group and Madison Dearborn Partners, as plaintiffs in litigation in New York Supreme Court asserting claims for breach of contract and damages arising from the sale of First Wind Holdings, LLC.
- Steven Tananbaum, the Chief Investment Officer of Goldentree Asset Management, in litigation against the Gagosian Gallery in connection with the purchase of artwork by Jeff Koons.
- The Prudential Insurance Company of America in an ERISA class action regarding use of retained asset accounts.
- ACP Re, AmTrust Financial Services, National General Holdings, Tower Group Insurance and others in defending claims by holders of trust preferred securities relating to ACP Re’s acquisition of Tower Group Insurance and related transactions.
- A global financial institution in government investigations into Russian money laundering activity.
- A Japanese bank in the ongoing TIBOR litigation
- Fordham University School of Law, 2015, J.D.
- University of Chicago, 2006, A.B.