Richard Lawton is a partner in the Commercial Litigation Group. He specialises in complex litigation and has wide-ranging experience across a full spectrum ...
Read Full Biography
- Ernst & Young as joint administrators of Nortel Networks (UK) and various other Nortel EMEA companies in all litigious aspects of the worldwide Nortel insolvency, including claims against the Canadian and U.S. Nortel entities in respect of the ownership of $7.5 billion business sale and proceeds. The matter saw Debevoise was named Litigation Team of the Year at the Transatlantic Legal Awards, as well as being named the Grand Prize Winner in the disputes category of the Global Legal Awards, both schemes run by The American Lawyer.
- BAT Industries in proceedings arising from the $1 billion clean-up of the Fox River in the U.S., including proceedings brought by BAT in the High Court against Appvion and Windward Prospects (certain companies which used to form part of the BAT Group) and proceedings seeking to ensure the recovery of around $800 million in dividends paid by Windward to a company called Sequana.
- A leading firm of accountants in an investigation by the FRC into one of its audits.
- Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce as lead manager in claims of over £200 million against it in the High Court by Natixis arising out of the failed Box Clever securitisation.
- Philip Noble in the English High Court in the successful defence of claims brought pursuant to a Demerger Agreement. The amounts in dispute were £100 million. The claims were based in contract, tort and equity. We also successfully represented Mr. Noble in the appeal in summer, 2016.
- JJB plc in its company voluntary arrangements and various disputes with creditors.
- The holding company of a large manufacturing group in an investigation by the liquidators of one of its insolvent subsidiaries pursuant to Section 235 of the Insolvency Act 1986 and claims by the holding company against the subsidiary.
- The holding company of the MG Rover Group (PVH) in matters arising out of the insolvency of the car manufacturing company and various group companies, including; the defence of a £400 million claim against PVH by the Trustee of the MG Rover Pension Fund and various multimillion pound claims by former suppliers and partners of the MG Rover Group.
- Nottingham Law School, 2002, L.P.C.
- University of Cambridge, 2001, M.A.