Benjamin Lyon is an English - and New Zealand-qualified international counsel in the Corporate Department and a member of the firm’s Financial Institutions ...
Read Full Biography
- American International Group in its strategic partnership with Blackstone Group for its Life & Retirement business.
- Nuveen, the investment manager of TIAA, in its acquisition of a controlling interest in Arcmont Asset Management, a private debt management firm.
- Covéa in its $9 billion acquisition of Partner Re, the largest deal in the insurance sector in 2021.
- PGIM in its acquisition of Montana Capital Partners, a European-based private equity secondaries asset manager.
- Third Point Re in its $788 million merger with Sirius Group.
- AmTrust Financial Services in the sale of its domestic and international surety and credit reinsurance operations to Liberty Mutual.
- GreyCastle in its sale to Monument Re, advising on the complex offshore UK / Bermuda life insurance structure. Debevoise also advised on the original establishment of GreyCastle.
- Lovell Minnick in its take-private deal for Charles Taylor, a leading provider of professional services to the global insurance market.
- DBAY Advisors in the structuring and funding elements of its acquisition of Harvey Nash Group.
- HarbourVest Partners in its role in the £1.2 billion take-private acquisition of UK insurer esure.
- AXA in its acquisition of Bermuda-based XL/Catlin Group for $15.3 billion in connection with insurance M&A and regulatory matters.
- American International Group in its $5.56 billion acquisition of Validus Group, a Bermuda-based, NYSE-listed, (re)insurance company.
- Assured Guaranty in its acquisition of a minority interest in Rubicon Infrastructure Advisors.
- American International Group in several transactions with Fairfax Financial, a leading global property and casualty insurer and reinsurer, as part of a strategic partnership in 12 jurisdictions across Latin America, Central and Eastern Europe.
- Prudential Financial in its $350 million partnership with LeapFrog Investments, targeting investments in life insurance companies in Africa.
- Adveq in its sale to Schroders.
- MBIA in the sale of its UK subsidiary to Assured Guaranty.
- Exor as insurance M&A counsel in its contested $6.9 billion acquisition of PartnerRe, a Bermuda-based reinsurance company.
- AIA Group in its $1.7 billion acquisition of ING's insurance businesses.
- GreyCastle in its $570 million acquisition, backed by a consortium of investors, of the run-off Life Reinsurance operations of XL Group.
- TIAA-CREF in its partnership with Henderson Group PLC to create TIAA Henderson Real Estate Limited, a new global real estate investment management company.
Lloyd’s of London M&A
- Asta Capital and its shareholders, the market leading third party managing agent at Lloyd’s, in its sale to Davies Group.
- Elliott Management Corporation, Wand Partners and Paraline Group in the investment by Bain Capital Credit in Beat Capital.
- AmTrust Financial Services in the merging of its Lloyd’s business with Canopius. The transaction will create a top-five insurer at Lloyd’s with combined premiums of approximately $2.2 billion.
- AIG's Lloyd's Syndicate 2019 in its Tier 1 Funds at Lloyd's facility.
- Canada Pension Plan Investment Board in its $1.1 billion acquisition of Ascot from American International Group.
- AmTrust Financial Services in its $219 million acquisition of ANV Holding, a Lloyd's platform.
- Global Atlantic, a retirement and life insurance company, in the sale of Ariel Re, its Bermuda and Lloyd’s insurance and reinsurance businesses to BTG Banco Pactual.
- Hardy Underwriting in its response to the unsolicited takeover approach announced by Beazley plc.
- Omega Insurance Holdings Limited in the partial cash offer by Haverford (Bermuda) to acquire up to 25% of Omega's common shares listed on the London Stock Exchange. (Terminated)
- Intact Financial Corporation, the largest provider of property and casualty insurance in Canada and a leading provider of global specialty insurance, in its minority investment in Cartan Trade, the French new credit insurance provider.
- MTech Capital in its investment in Net Purpose, a reporting platform for sustainable investors, as part of its Series A funding round.
- Intact in its investment in insurtech company Urban Jungle, as part of its Series A funding round.
- MTech Capital in its insurtech investment in financial planning platform Timeline, as part of a Series A funding round.
- MTech Capital in its investment in digital community Rest Less, as part of a Series A funding round.
- A global private equity fund in its investment into a global reinsurer’s Lloyd’s of London platform, through the provision of Funds at Lloyd’s for the relevant Syndicate using the innovative insurance risk transformation structure, London Bridge 2 PCC Limited.
- Helios Underwriting, the unique investment vehicle which acquires and consolidates underwriting capacity at Lloyd's, in raising approximately £12.5 million through a placing of, and a subscription for, new ordinary shares.
- Clayton, Dubilier & Rice in the sale of an approximately 12% stake in B&M for £408 million.
- The executive management and certain other shareholders of Arrow Global Group in the company's £357 million initial public offering.
Reinsurance / Legacy Transactions
- Compre, the Bermuda headquartered international legacy group, in its agreement with SUNZ Insurance Company to acquire a workers’ compensation legacy portfolio.
- Canopius, a Centerbridge Partners portfolio company and a leading global specialty (re)insurer, in its $780 million loss portfolio transfer agreement with RiverStone International.
- Compre in its reinsurance to close of Syndicate 3330’s 2018 year of account, and the purchase of AXA DBIO II’s Corporate Member.
- Compre in the launch of its Lloyd’s legacy syndicate 1994, and its strategic partnership with Apollo to manage syndicate 1994, and to work with Compre to build its Lloyd’s legacy platform.
- Compre in its reinsurance to close transaction of Apollo syndicate 1969’s 2017 and prior years of account.
- AmTrust Financial Services in its $830 million reinsurance-to-close deals with Enstar Group in respect of its Lloyd’s operations.
- University of Auckland, 2001, LL.B.
- University of Auckland, 2001, B.Com