Benjamin Lyon is an English - and New Zealand-qualified international counsel in the Corporate Department and a member of the firm’s Financial Institutions ...
Read Full Biography
- Compre in its reinsurance to close of Syndicate 3330’s 2018 year of account, and the purchase of AXA DBIO II’s Corporate Member.
- Compre in the launch of its Lloyd’s legacy syndicate 1994, and its strategic partnership with Apollo to manage syndicate 1994, and to work with Compre to build its Lloyd’s legacy platform.
- Compre in its reinsurance to close transaction of Apollo syndicate 1969’s 2017 and prior years of account.
- AIG's Lloyd's Syndicate 2019 in its Tier 1 Funds at Lloyd's facility.
- Elliott Management Corporation, Wand Partners and Paraline Group in the investment by Bain Capital Credit in Beat Capital.
- Third Point Re in its $788 million merger with Sirius Group.
- GreyCastle in its sale to Monument Re, advising on the complex offshore UK / Bermuda life insurance structure. Debevoise also advised on the original establishment of GreyCastle.
- Covéa Group in its $9 billion acquisition of PartnerRe. (Terminated)
- Lovell Minnick in its take-private deal for Charles Taylor, a leading provider of professional services to the global insurance market.
- AmTrust Financial Services in its $830 million reinsurance-to-close deals with Enstar Group in respect of its Lloyd’s operations.
- AmTrust Financial Services in the sale of its domestic and international surety and credit reinsurance operations to Liberty Mutual.
- DBAY Advisors in the structuring and funding elements of its acquisition of Harvey Nash Group.
- AmTrust Financial Services in the merging of its Lloyd’s business with Canopius. The transaction will create a top-five insurer at Lloyd’s with combined premiums of approximately $2.2 billion.
- HarbourVest Partners in its role in the £1.2 billion take-private acquisition of UK insurer esure.
- AXA in its acquisition of Bermuda-based XL/Catlin Group for $15.3 billion in connection with insurance M&A and regulatory matters.
- Assured Guaranty in its acquisition of a minority interest in Rubicon Infrastructure Advisors.
- American International Group in its $5.56 billion acquisition of Validus Group, a Bermuda-based, NYSE-listed, (re)insurance company.
- Adveq in its sale to Schroders.
- American International Group in several transactions with Fairfax Financial, a leading global property and casualty insurer and reinsurer, as part of a strategic partnership in 12 jurisdictions across Latin America and Central and Eastern Europe.
- Canada Pension Plan Investment Board in its $1.1 billion acquisition of Ascot from American International Group.
- MBIA in the sale of its UK subsidiary to Assured Guaranty.
- AmTrust Financial Services in its $219 million acquisition of ANV Holding, a Lloyd's platform.
- Prudential Financial in its $350 million partnership with LeapFrog Investments, targeting investments in life insurance companies in Africa.
- Exor as insurance M&A counsel in its contested $6.9 billion acquisition of PartnerRe, a Bermuda-based reinsurance company.
- Clayton, Dubilier & Rice in the sale of an approximately 12% stake in B&M for £408 million.
- Global Atlantic in the sale of its Bermuda and Lloyd’s insurance and reinsurance businesses to BTG Banco Pactual.
- GreyCastle in its $570 million acquisition, backed by a consortium of investors, of the run-off Life Reinsurance operations of XL Group.
- The executive management and certain other shareholders of Arrow Global Group in the company's £357 million initial public offering.
- TIAA-CREF in its partnership with Henderson Group PLC to create TIAA Henderson Real Estate Limited, a new global real estate investment management company, with total assets under management of over $63 billion.
- AIA Group in its $1.7 billion acquisition of ING's insurance businesses.
- Hardy Underwriting in its response to the unsolicited takeover approach announced by Beazley plc.
- Omega Insurance Holdings Limited in the partial cash offer by Haverford (Bermuda) to acquire up to 25% of Omega's common shares listed on the London Stock Exchange. (Terminated)
- University of Auckland, 2001, LL.B.
- University of Auckland, 2001, B.Com