Douglas Buchanan QC is a senior counsel and Co-Head of the firm’s Global Infrastructure and Project Finance Group. He is admitted to the practice ...
Read Full Biography
U.S. Projects Currently in Procurement
- Denver Airport Great Hall P3 Project - acting for one of the short-listed consortia bidding on the redevelopment of the Great Hall Terminal at the Denver International Airport.
- Indianapolis Airport Wastewater P3 Project - - acting for one of the short-listed consortia bidding on the development of the wastewater and storm water systems at the Indianapolis Airport.
- Purple Line Light Rail - acted for one of the short-listed consortia bidding for the “Purple Line” light rail project being developed in the Maryland suburbs of Washington D.C.
- LaGuardia Airport Central Terminal Reconstruction Project - acted for one of the short-listed consortia bidding for the contract to design, build, finance, operate and maintain a replacement central terminal building at LaGuardia Airport.
- Illiana Expressway – acted for one of the short listed consortia in the Illinois portion of the cross-border Illiana expressway project.
- Illiana Expressway - acted for one of the short listed consortia in the Indiana portion of the cross-border Illiana expressway project.
- Rialto Water – acted for the majority equity investor in a 30-year concession with the city of Rialto California to outsource and upgrade the city’s water and wastewater services.
- Ullico, a labor-owned insurance and investment company, in the $1.02 billion cross-border take private acquisition of Student Transportation.
- Edmonton LRT Project acted for a design-build contractor and LRV and systems suppliers to a shortlisted consortium in respect of the DBFOM availability payment light rail transit project in Edmonton, Alberta.
- Toronto Eglinton LRT Project - acted for a principal contractor in the design-build joint venture in the DBFM availability light rail transit project in Ontario.
- Evergreen LRT Project – acted for the successful proponent on a DBF rail-based rapid transit service Vancouver connecting a new municipality to the existing SkyTrain rail network.
- Billy Bishop Airport Access Tunnel – acted for the successful proponent.
- Surrey Pre-Trial Project - acted for the successful proponent in connection with the Surrey Pre-Trial P3 project. This project was a Canadian Council for Public-Private Partnerships “2011 Gold Award Winner for Innovation and Excellence in PPP”.
- Quinte Court House – counsel to the successful proponent in connection with the Quinte Court House P3 project court house at Kingston, Ontario.
- Alberta Schools #1 - acted for the successful proponent with respect to all aspects of the $500 million Alberta Schools Project in Calgary and Edmonton and its UK bank financing. This project was awarded the “North American Social Infrastructure Deal of the Year” by Project Finance Magazine (Euromoney) (NY).
- Edmonton Ring Road #2 (also known as the Anthony Henday Drive North West Leg) – acted for the successful proponent (this project was awarded “PPP Deal of the Year – Americas” for 2008 by PFI Magazine).
- Québec Autoroute 30 Project – acted for a European lending syndicate supporting a shortlisted bidder during the procurement phase of the Québec Autoroute 30 Project.
- Québec Autoroute 25 – acted for a European lending syndicate and monoline supporting a shortlisted bidder during the procurement phase of the Québec Autoroute 25 Project.
- Calgary Ring Road #1 (also known as Northeast Stoney Trail) – acted for the successful proponent.
- Golden Ears Bridge Project – acted for the successful proponent (this project was awarded “North American PPP Deal of the Year” by Project Finance Magazine, “ North American Deal of the Year” by Project Finance International. (2006) and “Infrastructure Journal Global Deal of the Year”.
- Kicking Horse Canyon Phase 2 Section – acted for the successful proponent.
- Canada Line P3 Project – acted as lead counsel to the successful proponent (this project was awarded “North American Transport Deal of the Year” by Project Finance Magazine and “Infrastructure Deal of the Year – Americas” by Project Finance International).
- Highway 407 #1 – acted as lead counsel to the Bank of Montreal lead international banking syndicate providing the construction financing for Highway 407 in Toronto, Ontario. This project was awarded “North American Transport Deal of the Year” by Project Finance Magazine (NY).
- Represented a leading Canadian PPP procurement authority in the development and drafting of its Model Concession Agreement, and advising on all policy and risk issues arising in connection with the ;government’s active infrastructure program.