Following a banner year in which the International Dispute Resolution Group of Debevoise & Plimpton LLP secured the largest ICSID arbitration award in history, prevailed against the Albanian government in a victory for independent media and won a landmark human rights case before the International Court of Justice, the practice saw more lawyers recognized in Who’s Who Legal: Arbitration for 2020 than ever before.
This year’s edition recognizes Debevoise partners Catherine Amirfar, Donald Francis Donovan, Mark Friedman, Lord Goldsmith QC, Wendy Miles QC, Ina Popova, Dietmar Prager, David W. Rivkin, Samantha Rowe, Christopher Tahbaz and Patrick Taylor; international counsel Aimee-Jane Lee; counsel Floriane Lavaud; and associates Conway Blake, Jennifer Lim and Laura Sinisterra.
Additionally, the publication names partners Catherine Amirfar, Donald Francis Donovan, Mark Friedman, Lord Goldsmith QC, Wendy Miles QC, Dietmar Prager and David W. Rivkin as “Thought Leaders,” with Donald Francis Donovan, Wendy Miles QC and David W. Rivkin recognized as “Global Elite Thought Leaders.” Also noted as “Future Leaders” are fourth-time honoree counsel Floriane Lavaud and associates Conway Blake, Jennifer Lim and Laura Sinisterra. Debevoise is noted as a “Leading Firm” in North America.
Lawyers were selected as leaders in their field through nominations from peers and clients. A select group of lawyers who particularly stood out in this year’s research also received a short profile in the guide. The Debevoise lawyers profiled are:
- Catherine Amirfar: Who’s Who Legalnotes that sources say Ms. Amirfar “‘will be a leader of the international arbitration group at the firm, and is an obvious one to watch.’ Her practice focuses on acting as counsel in international commercial and treaty arbitrations.”
- Donald Francis Donovan: Donald Francis Donovan: Who’s Who Legalsays that Mr. Donovan “sits among North America’s elite arbitration specialists, and is accordingly identified as a Global Elite Thought Leader in the space.”Based on surveys of others in the field, Mr. Donovan is widely regarded as one of the leading international arbitration practitioners, international lawyers, and international advocates in the world.
- Mark Friedman: Who’s Who Legalnotes that Mr. Friedman is “‘smart, creative, conscientious and thorough’ as a practitioner. Peers say, ‘He has the capacity to be tough without seeming it – it’s a nice combination. He is good with witnesses, on briefs and in client service.’”
- Floriane Lavaud: Who’s Who Legalnotes that Ms. Lavaud “comes highly recommended for her ‘sharp intellect’ and strong expertise in international arbitration matters. She earns plaudits for her ‘passion, dedication and indefatigable efforts to serve the interests of her clients.’”
- Wendy Miles QC: Who’s Who Legalsays that Ms. Miles “is identified by peers as ‘a hugely well-respected arbitrator’ who is ‘very active in the space.’ She has over 20 years of experience with institutional and ad hoc arbitrations, where she advises multinational corporations and state entities.”
- David W. Rivkin: Who’s Who Legalselected Mr. Rivkin as a Global Elite Thought Leader “thanks to extensive recommendations from peers around the world. He is highly respected for his standing in the space, and is particularly experienced working under ICSID rules.”