Nicola Swan (née Leslie) is a member of the firm’s International Dispute Resolution and Business and Human Rights Groups. Her practice focuses ...
Read Full Biography
- A major mining company in relation to parallel multi-billion dollar LCIA-administered investment and contractual arbitration proceedings against an African sovereign under UNCITRAL Rules.
- An international NGO in relation to global litigation strategy regarding claims before UN human rights treaty monitoring bodies across multiple Latin American states.
- The Center for Reproductive Rights in its successful intervention in the UK Supreme Court concerning the Northern Ireland Human Rights Commission’s challenge to Northern Ireland’s criminal laws on abortion.
- A multinational professional services firm in a Belgian-seated commercial arbitration arising out of a post-M&A dispute.
- Human Dignity Trust in a joint intervention on behalf of the Human Dignity Trust, International Committee of Jurists and Commonwealth Lawyers Association, which saw a law in Belize that disproportionately affects gay men ruled unconstitutional. London co-managing partner Lord Goldsmith QC also acted as lead advocate before the Supreme Court of Belize in the course of the proceedings.
- Helios Investment Partners and its investment vehicle, Samba Luxco in the settlement of its claims made in an ICC Arbitration regarding Samba's stake in an African telecommunications company.
- BTL Employees' Trust, a shareholder in Belize Telemedia Limited, concerning the re-nationalisation without compensation of BTL, and the amendment of the Belize Constitution to enshrine the nationalisations and to curtail the courts’ power to protect fundamental rights, including the right to property.
- An international organization in an arbitration brought by a private party under a Headquarters Agreement with a host state.
- British Caribbean Bank Ltd, in successfully defending anti-arbitration injunction proceedings brought by the Government of Belize to avoid arbitration under a BIT in the courts of Belize and the Caribbean Court of Justice (before which Debevoise is believed to have been the first non-Caribbean firm to argue a case).
- The Attorney-General of St. Kitts and Nevis in the Eastern Caribbean Supreme Court (St. Kitts and Nevis) and Court of Appeal in constitutional proceedings brought against the Government by Members of Parliament seeking to carry a motion of no confidence in the Government.
- The Attorney-General of St. Kitts and Nevis in constitutional proceedings in the Eastern Supreme Court and Court of Appeal and the Privy Council challenging the validity of a Proclamation passed in the St. Kitts and Nevis National Assembly concerning amendments to electoral boundaries in advance of the 2015 general election.
- A major Russian entity in a commercial arbitration under ICC Rules following a disputed share sale.
- A party bringing proceedings before the European Court of Human Rights under Article 6 of the European Convention on Human Rights.
- Two individuals before the Court of Appeal of Singapore in a constitutional challenge against s 377A of the Singaporean Criminal Code, which criminalizes homosexuality.
- University of Oxford, 2012, BCL (distinction)
- University of Otago, 2006, B.A.
- University of Otago, 2006, LL.B. (Hons, first class)