William Chua is a corporate partner based in Hong Kong. Mr. Chua is a broad-gauged transactional lawyer with deep experience in private equity and strategic ...
Read Full Biography
Private Equity/Mergers & Acquisitions
- Clearwater Capital in its sale to Toronto Stock Exchange-listed asset management firm Fiera Capital Corporation.
- HarbourVest Partners in its co-investment with a Southeast Asian private equity fund in the buyout of an education group in Malaysia.
- Capital Group in its acquisition of a 40% equity stake in InterGlobe Technology Quotient.
- Hony Capital in its investment in WeWork Companies, which valued the company at approximately $16 billion.
- Baring Private Equity Asia in the $4.3 billion buyout of NYSE-listed Nord Anglia Education.
- HarbourVest Partners in its co-investment in the acquisition of an Australian healthcare company.
- A consortium of investors, led by FountainVest Partners and Carlyle Group, on the $3.6 billion leveraged buyout of Nasdaq-listed Focus Media.
- A private equity fund’s proposed acquisition of a significant stake in the financial services business being spun-out from a listed Chinese technology company.
- HarbourVest Partners in its direct investment in Janalakshmi Financial Services, a non-banking financial services company in India.
- Alibaba Group in its joint venture with SoftBank and Foxconn Technology and its investment in SoftBank Robotics Holdings Corp.
- NYSE-listed Dover Corporation in its buyout of its Chinese partner’s equity interests in Tokheim Hengshan Technology (Guangzhou) Co., Ltd.
- A private equity portfolio company in its proposed acquisition of a chemicals company in Southeast Asia.
- HarbourVest Partners in its direct investment in an online payments services provider in China.
- Capital Group in a follow-on investment in Go-Jek, an Indonesian hyperlocal transport, logistics and payments startup that operates a leading online delivery and ride-hailing platform in Southeast Asia.
- Goldman Sachs Principal Investment Area in its investment in a mobile video streaming company in China.
- A private family office in its investment in Grab, a Singapore-based technology company that offers ride-hailing, ride-sharing and logistics services.
- NYSE-listed Dover Corporation in the disposition of its specialty glass and commercial glass refrigeration equipment business in China.
- Capital Group in its acquisition of an equity stake in Intas Pharmaceuticals, one of the largest pharmaceutical companies in India, from ChrysCapital, an India-focused private equity firm.
- Hony Capital in its investments in Nasdaq-listed FibroGen, a U.S.-based biopharmaceutical company.
- Ally Bridge in its PIPEs transaction with Nasdaq-listed Sorrento Therapeutics.
- Polyus Gold International in its sale of up to a $1.4 billion stake in PJSC Polyus to Fosun International.
- HarbourVest Partners in its co-investment in connection with the acquisition of an Australian wine producer.
- HarbourVest Partners in its co-investment with an Indian private equity fund in connection with the acquisition of equity interests in a leading pharmaceuticals company in India.
- D.E. Shaw in the restructuring of Kaisa, a Hong Kong-listed PRC property developer.
- Hony Capital in its capacity as a strategic shareholder in the acquisition of naked Hub by WeWork Greater China.
- The Heart Clinic, a cardiology specialist medical practice, in its sale to Virtus Medical Holdings, and the establishment of a long-term arrangement for the cardiologists to continue operating The Heart Clinic under Virtus Medical Holdings.
- Alibaba Group in the structuring, negotiation and documentation of various strategic investment, private equity, growth capital and joint venture transactions globally.
- Goldman Sachs Principal Investment Area on various private equity investments in China across various industries, including TMT, education, water purification and treatment, and healthcare.
- Standard Chartered Private Equity on various special situations transactions in the solar, renewable energy and retail sector in China, including straight equity investments and structured debt instruments.
- Telstra International Holdings Limited in its divestiture of SouFun Holdings through a U.S. IPO transaction and concurrent sale of remaining equity interests to a consortium of private equity funds.
- Anheuser-Busch InBev in its $1.8 billion disposition of Oriental Brewery to KKR.
- Nasdaq-listed ASE Test in its “going private” scheme of arrangement with NYSE-listed Advanced Semiconductor Engineering.
- China Renaissance Capital Investment in its acquisition of various limited partnership interests from various global financial institutions.
- Alibaba Group in its acquisition of Lazada Group, a Southeast Asia focused e-commerce company.
- HarbourVest Partners in its co-investment in a payroll business process outsourcing company in Australia.
- HarbourVest Partners in its co-investment in an infrastructure services company in India.
- HarbourVest Partners in its co-investment in a manufacturer and distributor of semi-finished bakery products in Australia.
- Various multinational corporations in restructuring, spin-off and asset divestiture transactions involving its Asian/China operations.
Debt and Acquisition/Leveraged Finance
- A leading Chinese private equity firm in a $170 million umbrella subscription line facility with Citibank N.A.
- Alibaba Group in its multiple concurrent offerings of unsecured notes with an aggregate principal amount of $8 billion.
- Focus Media in its $1.5 billion acquisition financing for its LBO, in the form of senior secured term loans, bridge-to-cash facility and SBLC financing, together with proposed bridge financing and high-yield bond takeout.
- Yue Xiu Enterprises in its $1.5 billion bridge loan financing facility for its acquisition of HKSE-listed Chong Hing Bank.
- Margin loan financing transactions involving publicly traded equity securities.
- Hutchison Whampoa in multiple offerings of guaranteed notes and hybrid perpetual capital securities totaling over $6 billion.
- China Oriental Group in tender offers and consent solicitations for multiple series of its outstanding high-yield notes.
- Jaguar Land Rover, Tata Motors and Jingrui Properties in multiple offerings of high-yield notes totaling over $2 billion.
- P.T. Newmont Nusa Tenggara in a secured revolving credit facility from a consortium of international and Indonesian commercial banks to fund the operations of the Batu Hijau copper-gold mine in Indonesia.
- Goldman Sachs Asia Special Situations Group in a debt exchange transaction involving swapping second lien loans for newly-issued high-yield bonds of Global AT&T Electronics (formerly known as United Test & Assembly Center).
- Anheuser-Busch InBev in a contingent value rights instrument, mezzanine financing and PIK notes in connection with the sale of Oriental Brewery to KKR.
- AIA Group in its $500 million offering of 3.90% notes due 2028.
- AIA Group in its $500 million offering in Taiwan of 4.47% senior unsecured fixed rate notes due 2047.
Capital Markets and Securities
- Alibaba Group in its $25 billion SEC-registered initial public offering and New York Stock Exchange listing.
- HKSE-listed Power Assets Holding in its $3.1 billion spin-off of Hong Kong Electric using a share stapled unit structure issued through a holding company of Hong Kong Electric and a fixed single investment trust holding the ordinary shares of the holding company via an initial public offering and listing on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange.
- Tata Motors Limited in its $1.5 billion SEC-registered rights offering in the U.S. and concurrent public rights offering in India.
- Nasdaq-listed China Natural Resources in its spin-off via a listing by introduction of Feishang Anthracite.
- Autohome, SouFun, Mindray Medical International, China Nepstar, Chunghwa Telecom and Hutchison Telecom International in SEC-registered IPOs and U.S. listing transactions.
- Alibaba.com, Phoenix Healthcare Group, Shanghai Pharmaceuticals, Regina Miracle International, Ozner Water International and Universal Medical in Hong Kong initial public offerings and listings transactions.
- Ant Financial (formerly Alipay) in the structuring, negotiation and documentation of various strategic investment and joint venture transactions globally relating to online payments and financial services.
- Acquisition of HKSE-listed Chong Hing Bank via a partial voluntary general offer by Yue Xiu Enterprises.
- Initial public offerings and listings by AIA, China Pacific Insurance, New China Life Insurance, Ping An Insurance and People’s Insurance (Group) Company of China.
- American International Group’s global investment arm in various investments as well as divestitures regionally in Asia.
- Temasek in its proposed acquisition of a significant strategic equity stake in a leading publicly-listed insurance company in China.
- Bank of China in its strategic equity sales to Royal Bank of Scotland Group, Temasek, UBS and Asian Development Bank.
- Securities offerings and other capital raising transactions by Bank of China, Bank of Communications, Bank of Chongqing, Bank of China Hong Kong, Standard Chartered Bank, Argentaria (now BBVA), Unibanco-Uniao de Bancos Brasileiros, Fifth Third Bank and Thai Farmers Bank (now Kasikornbank).
- The principal investment divisions of Goldman Sachs, Standard Chartered and UBS in various investments and acquisitions in Asia.
- Harvard Law School, 1994, J.D.
- Princeton University, 1991, A.B.