Christopher Smeall is a corporate partner based in Debevoise’s Tokyo office. He is qualified in New York and registered with the Dai-ichi Tokyo Bar ...
Read Full Biography
Oil & Gas, Energy and Related Infrastructure
- Sakhalin 2 Project (Russian Federation)
- Long-term LNG supply agreements with Sonatrach (Algeria)
- Cabiunas, EVM, Malhas Pipeline and REVAP Refinery Modernization projects involving Petrobras (Brazil)
- Brazos wind energy joint venture (United States)
- Su Tu Den FPSO financing (Vietnam)
- Acquisition by a Japanese utility company of an interest in a multi-national wind power business.
- Investment in the Brazilian gas distribution sector.
- Financing involving PDVSA with related hydrocarbon offtake (Venezuela)
- Acquisition of an interest in the Marcellus shale in the United States
- Acquisition of an interest in a Brazilian hydroelectric project.
- Goro nickel mine (New Caledonia)
- Collahuasi copper project (Chile)
- Financings to Southern Peru Copper secured by copper exports (Peru)
- Various niobium supply and offtake arrangements (Brazil)
- Joint exploration arrangement in Colombia
Chemicals, including Petrochemicals
- Showa Denko K.K. in the U.S. aspects of its €350 million acquisition of SGL GE Holding GmbH.
- Tuban petrochemical project (Indonesia)
- Representation of a leading U.S. specialty chemical producer in its facilities expansions and supply agreements
- Cape Horn methanol project (Chile)
- Representation of France Telecom in the privatization of Telmex (Mexico)
- Joint venture to provide internet services in Japan
- Merger of ALC Communications and Frontier (United States)
- Creation of AgReliant Genetics, a leading North American seed company
- Representation of a leading seed producer in the commercialization of Roundup-Ready® sugar beets in the United States
- U.S. aspects of the reorganization of Ito-Yokado/Seven Eleven to create Seven & I Holdings
- Financing of Amtrak’s Northeast Corridor Acela high-speed train project (United States)
- Representation of a Japanese bank as lender in the leveraged acquisition of a U.S. car parts company (United States)
- Various transactions involving Penske Automotive Group (United States)
- The creation of Data Systems & Solutions, a joint venture providing engineering and technical support services to the aerospace and other sectors (United States)
- Representation of a venture fund through its life cycle, including disposition of portfolio companies Vortech Data to Kodak and MediSense to Baxter
- Creation and subsequent sale of diagnostics company Sentinel Biosciences to Roche
- UFJ in the U.S. aspects of its combination with Bank of Tokyo Mitsubishi (Japan)
- Establishment of an investment fund targeted at U.S. commercial finance assets
- Yale Law School, 1979, J.D.
- University of California at Berkeley, 1975, M.A.
- University of Michigan, 1973, B.A.