Ina C. Popova is a Partner in the firm’s International Dispute Resolution Group who focuses on international arbitration and litigation and public ...
Read Full Biography
Commercial Arbitration and International Litigation
- Hyundai Heavy Industries in an ICC arbitration involving disputes between the shareholders of Hyundai Oilbank Ltd. (HDO), South Korea’s fourth largest oil refining and marketing company, winning the largest ICC award issued at the time and Global Arbitration Review’s Arbitration Win of the Year 2010.
- Norilsk Nickel and Interros International Investments in a dispute with United Company Rusal, including LCIA arbitration proceedings and related court litigation in the United States, England, Russia, Switzerland, St. Kitts & Nevis and The Netherlands.
- A leading telecommunications and digital media company in an LCIA arbitration of a contractual dispute arising out of the purchase of assets in multiple jurisdictions.
- A publicly-listed sporting goods company in a dispute arising out of a distribution agreement, winning dismissal of all claims for over €30 million in addition to an award of attorney’s fees.
- A Swiss company in ad hoc arbitration proceedings relating to payments for a commodities transaction, winning complete dismissal of claims for over $16 million.
- An Asian solar cell manufacturer in a dispute under the LCIA Rules involving claims for breach of contract and under the CISG.
- A European equipment manufacturer in an SCC arbitration arising out of the termination of a supply contract requiring performance in a country subject to trade restrictions, including emergency relief.
- General Electric in resolving disputes with multiple customers whose contracts involving sanctioned countries were cancelled when GE acquired a subsidiary. Some of the disputes led to arbitration or domestic litigation, and many others were resolved amicably.
- An investor in an African mining project in a dispute arising from an electrical power supply agreement with the national electric company.
- An investor in a European solar module manufacturer in a dispute regarding a production line for thin film technology solar cell modules.
- Investors in a Mexican business in a shareholder dispute involving contractual and fiduciary duty claims under Texas and Mexican law.
- A major publicly-listed mining company in a dispute with an African government regarding a multi-billion dollar mining project.
- A major publicly-listed mining company in designing an industry-wide alternative dispute resolution protocol for government disputes in Africa.
Investment and Other Public International Law Disputes
- Perenco Ecuador, prevailing on novel jurisdictional and merits issues in an ICSID arbitration arising out of the Republic of Ecuador’s unilateral increase of its participation to 99% of all revenues from oil sales above a fixed “reference price” and its declaration that Perenco’s contracts had come to an end. A decision on Perenco’s claims for more than $1 billion in damages is currently pending.
- A major publicly-listed mining company in a dispute with an African government regarding a mining project.
- The UK Government as amicus curiae in litigation before U.S. federal courts and the United States Supreme Court.
- Francesco Becchetti and five other Italian investors in ICSID proceedings against Albania arising out of claimants’ investments in a hydroelectric plant and a media company, winning a historic order of provisional measures suspending criminal and extradition proceedings.
- Pueblo Viejo Dominicana, a joint venture between Barrick Gold and Goldcorp Inc., in a dispute with the Government of the Dominican Republic regarding the Pueblo Viejo gold, silver and copper mine, which is reported to be the largest foreign investment in the Dominican Republic.
- Swiss cement manufacturer Holcim in its ICSID arbitration against the Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela for the expropriation of its Venezuelan subsidiary, leading to a settlement worth $650 million that has been fully paid.
- A publicly-listed mining company in socio-environmental matters relating to a mine in Latin America.
- An investment manager in acquiring and settling on favorable terms a series of investment arbitration awards.
- Harvard Law School, 2007, LL.M.
- Université Paris II Panthéon-Assas, 2006, Maîtrise en droit
- University of Cambridge, 2006, B.A.