Lord (Peter) Goldsmith QC, PC, London co-managing partner and Chair of European and Asian Litigation, joined Debevoise in September 2007. Lord Goldsmith ...
Read Full Biography
- Ust-Kamenogorsk Hydropower Plant, a subsidiary of Samruk Energy, as advocates to the appellant in the UK Supreme Court on a landmark arbitration appeal to determine whether the English Court has jurisdiction to grant an anti-suit injunction in circumstances where no arbitration is intended or in prospect.
- A bank in anti-arbitration injunction proceedings brought by the host state to avoid arbitration under a BIT in the courts of Belize and the Caribbean Court of Justice (before which Debevoise is believed to be the first non-Caribbean firm to argue a case).
- Property developer Paddy McKillen in the UK Court of Appeal against the Barclay brothers concerning the £1 billion Mayfair Group of hotels.
- A major London-based mining company and its African subsidiary, one of the largest mining and metals companies in Africa, in four parallel LCIA arbitrations relating to a US$500 million dispute with a major contractor over short delivery and other alleged breaches of a contract for mining services at an open cast copper mine in Southern Africa.
- A Canadian mining group in a dispute with the Government of an African country, concerning claims of breach of the tax stabilisation and other provisions of an agreement for the operation of a copper treatment facility, and an expropriation of certain of the mining company’s rights.
- The Attorney General of St Kitts and Nevis in the Eastern Caribbean Supreme Court (St Kitts and Nevis) in constitutional proceedings brought against the Government by Members of Parliament seeking to carry a motion of no confidence in the Government.
- BTL Employees' Trust, a shareholder in Belize Telemedia Limited, concerning the re-nationalisation without compensation of BTL, and the amendment of the Belize Constitution to enshrine the nationalisations and to curtail the courts’ power to protect fundamental rights, including the right to property.
- A large telecoms company in a potential investment treaty dispute relating to the cancellation of 21 long term telecoms licences in India.
- Vincent Tchenguiz, in judicial review proceedings brought in respect of search warrants issued against Mr. Tchenguiz and Vincos Ltd, a company which provides advice to the Tchenguiz Family Trust and which is chaired by Mr. Tchenguiz, in connection with a Serious Fraud Office investigation into the collapse of Kaupthing Hf., an Icelandic bank.
- A major automotive corporation as Claimant in consolidated ICC London arbitration proceedings against Volkswagen in respect of a dispute involving a multibillion euro cross-shareholding and arising out of a commercial alliance formalised in December 2009.
- OJSC Norilsk Nickel MMC and Interros International Investments Limited in a dispute with United Company Rusal, including LCIA arbitration proceedings and related court litigation in the United States, England, Russia, Switzerland, St. Kitts & Nevis and The Netherlands.
- An Asian Government in an inter-state dispute in an ad hoc international arbitration under the auspices of the Permanent Court of Arbitration.