Mary Beth Hogan is Co-Chair of the Litigation Department and has a broad-gauged litigation and investigations practice. Her practice focuses on regulatory ...
Read Full Biography
Financial Services and Civil Cases
- A leading mortgage servicer in connection with federal and state regulatory investigations.
- UBS Financial Services, as lead trial counsel, in the successful defense in a FINRA arbitration brought by former UBS clients in connection with investment losses during the Fall of 2008. Following nine hearing days, the three-arbitrator panel denied all of the claimants’ claims.
- JPMorgan Chase NA in civil actions brought by the Massachusetts and New York Attorneys General in connection with mortgage foreclosure practices.
- JPMorgan Chase NA in class action litigation in several jurisdictions relating to mortgage servicers’ use of the Mortgage Electronic Recording System (MERS). Several of these actions have already been dismissed on the pleadings.
- A leading investment bank in a Sarbanes-Oxley whistleblower claim that settled favorably following two weeks of hearings.
- A financial services company in an internal investigation addressing allegations made by a senior female managing director that others in senior management had discriminated against her on the basis of gender.
- A major professional services firm in various tax-enforcement investigations.
Employment and Commercial Litigation Cases
- An international bank in the successful defense, following a three-day hearing, of a compensation-related arbitration brought by 10 former directors and managing directors which also prevailed on the bank’s sole counterclaim.
- Sidley Austin LLP in winning a motion to dismiss a Section 487 claim (NY Judiciary Law) related to a multi-billion dollar real estate investment.
- A leading medical device manufacturer in winning a multimillion dollar claim, and successfully defending a counterclaim, in an arbitration against its former parent.
- An insurance company in a favorable settlement of a confidential arbitration, brought by the company’s former CEO, alleging constructive discharge and wrongful termination.
- Discovery Communications in a breach of contract and unfair competition action in which the plaintiff dismissed all claims voluntarily after Discovery filed its motion to dismiss in New York Supreme Court.
- A consortium of banks in a putative class action alleging violations of the WARN act.
- Syracuse University in responding to inquiries by various law enforcement authorities which arose as a result of allegations of sexual abuse made against former Associate Head Coach of the University’s men’s basketball team. We are also representing the University in a defamation case that was filed against the University and its head basketball coach.
- The Sexual Misconduct Review Board for the Diocese of Albany in an independent investigation relating to allegations of misconduct made against the then Bishop of Albany.
- The Boards of Trustees of a number of independent schools relating to allegations of improper conduct by teachers, coaches and administrators.
- Rutgers School of Law – Newark, 1990, J.D.
- Princeton University, 1985, A.B.