Maura Kathleen Monaghan is a member of the firm’s Litigation Department whose practice focuses on a wide range of complex commercial litigation including ...
Read Full Biography
- American Airlines in litigation arising out of the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks, resulting in a recent trial victory establishing that World Trade Center Properties could not recover from American any of the nearly $5 billion it was seeking beyond already received insurance recoveries. Previous related wins have included dismissals of environmental litigation arising out of the attacks and multiple successful partial summary judgment and Daubert motions.
- Toyota Motor Sales USA in various state and federal investigations relating to vehicle acceleration issues. These included 29 state attorney general investigations, congressional inquiries, SEC investigations, and Department of Justice investigations, all of which settled without any criminal convictions for the company.
- A major U.S. hospital network in investigations arising out of an outbreak of disease resulting from tainted drugs.
- Many clients in contract disputes, including:
- A paint manufacturer in litigation arising out of a sales contract indemnity.
- A well-known winery in arbitration arising out of a distribution agreement.
- The founding investors of a hedge fund in arbitration with the fund manager.
- A major quick service restaurant franchisor in litigation with an international franchisee over the terms of the franchise agreement.
- An insurer in the evaluation of claims by an insured arising from ATF drug-eradication efforts in Latin America.
- An Asian manufacturer of photovoltaic panels in an evaluation of potential warranty claims.
- An Israeli optical laser manufacturer in the analysis of liability exposure.
- The acquirer of a pharmaceutical company in its due diligence with respect to certain contingent liabilities.
- A seal manufacturer in evaluation and defense of asbestos claims.
- Two mutual fund advisors in investigations by the SEC and a variety of state regulators, defense of lawsuits instituted by the SEC and state regulators, negotiation of regulatory settlements, implementation of settlements and defense of private class actions consolidated in a Multi District Litigation.
- Fordham University School of Law, 1996, J.D.
- Georgetown University, 1990, B.S.F.S.