Michael Gillespie is a corporate partner and a member of the firm’s Mergers & Acquisitions, Corporate Governance and Family Enterprise Groups. ...
Read Full Biography
- D. E. Shaw, a global investment and technology development firm, in the sale of a 20% equity interest in the management companies of D. E. Shaw previously owned by Lehman Brothers to an entity managed by Hillspire, the family office that serves as the investment vehicle for Google Executive Chairman Eric Schmidt and his family.
- Time Inc. in general advice relating to its transactions.
- Independent directors of News Corporation in allegations relating to phone-hacking in the United Kingdom.
- OSX in the complex cross-border restructuring of OSX Brasil, a member of the Eike Batista “X group,” in which OSX and its subsidiaries consensually restructured more than $2 billion in funded debt and trade obligations.
- Fibria, a Brazilian pulp and paper company, in general advice relating to its transactions.
- D. E. Shaw and Madison Dearborn Partners, as holders of exchangeable notes and other claims against SunEdison, in a complex transaction related to the $2.4 billion sale of wind farm operator First Wind, and D. E. Shaw as a member of the official committee of unsecured creditors in SunEdison’s Chapter 11 proceedings in the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of New York.
- Toyota in its collaboration with Air Liquide to develop and supply 12 state-of-the-art hydrogen stations in five states in the northeast in connection with Toyota's rollout of new hydrogen fuel cell vehicle, Mirai.
- Companhia Brasileira de Metalurgia e Mineração (CBMM) in the sale of a stake in CBMM to a consortium of five Chinese companies for $1.95 billion, and on a separate sale, to a consortium of Japanese and Korean companies, for the same value.
- Globo Comunicação e Participações S.A. in its approximately $600 million sale of a strategic equity stake in SKY Brasil to DIRECTV.
- BM&FBOVESPA in its $620 million investment in and joint venture with CME Group to form Global Preferred Strategic Partners.
- D. E. Shaw in its joint venture with Reliance Industries to create a broad financial services and investment business in the Indian markets.
- Globo Comunicação e Participações S.A. (Globopar) in a series of M&A and corporate transactions, including the sale of a strategic stake in Net Serviços, Latin America’s largest cable MSO, to Telmex, and the merger of two large satellite platforms in Brazil.
- adidas, AG in general advice relating to its transactions.
- Globo Comunicações e Participações S.A. (Globopar) in the groundbreaking restructuring of over $1.5 billion of international bond and international and Brazilian bank debt.
- Harvard Law School, 1986, J.D.
- Amherst College, 1982, A.B.