Paul Bird is Co-Chair of the firm’s Corporate Department, having led the Mergers & Acquisitions Group for over a decade. Mr. Bird's practice ...
Read Full Biography
- Univar in its $885 million initial public offering and concurrent private placement of $350 million of shares to Temasek and the additional purchase of 5 million shares of Univar common stock from selling stockholders by Temasek.
- Tribune Media Company in its spin-off of Tribune Publishing Company.
- Clayton, Dubilier & Rice in its $1.8 billion acquisition of Ashland Water Technologies.
- Schneider Electric in the sale of its custom sensors and technologies division to Carlyle and PAI, based on an enterprise value of $900 million, and its reinvestment of approximately $100 million.
- Tribune Media Company in its $2.7 billion acquisition of Local TV Holdings.
- Clayton, Dubilier & Rice and US Foods in the $8.2 billion merger of US Foods with Sysco Corporation.
- AssuraMed, a Clayton, Dubilier & Rice portfolio company, in its $2 billion sale to Cardinal Health.
- The Carlyle Group in its $3.3 billion acquisition of Getty Images.
- Clayton, Dubilier & Rice in its $1.05 billion acquisition of David's Bridal.
- Schneider Electric in its $2 billion acquisition of Telvent GIT SA, a software and solutions provider to the electricity, water, transportation and oil and gas industries.
- Clayton, Dubilier & Rice in its $3.2 billion acquisition of Emergency Medical Services Corporation.
- Clayton, Dubilier & Rice in its acquisition of a 60% stake in Hussmann International, a leading global manufacturer of refrigerated display merchandizing equipment and refrigeration systems for the retail food industry, from Ingersoll Rand.
- Pernod Ricard in its investment in Tequila Avión.
- Schneider Electric in its acquisition of Lee Technologies, a US-based service provider specializing in large-scale data centers in the North American market.
- Schneider Electric in its acquisition of Summit Energy Services, a leader in outsourced energy procurement and sustainability services to industrial, commercial and institutional enterprises.
- Prudential Financial in its $4.8 billion acquisition of Japan-based AIG Star Life Insurance and AIG Edison Life Insurance from American International Group.
- Pernod Ricard in its €5.6 billion acquisition of the Vin & Sprit Group, makers of Absolut vodka, from the Kingdom of Sweden in one of the largest cross-border privatizations of 2008 and in its sale of the Cruzan rum business to Fortune Brands.
- Bain Capital, The Carlyle Group and Clayton, Dubilier & Rice in their $8.5 billion acquisition of HD Supply from The Home Depot, which Private Equity Analyst named "LBO Deal of the Year."
- Clayton, Dubilier & Rice in its acquisition of a 42.5% stake in Univar, a global distributor of commodity and specialty chemicals, in a sponsored recapitalization transaction valuing Univar at $4.2 billion.
- Clayton, Dubilier & Rice and GS Capital Partners in their acquisition of HGI Holdings, a leading distributor of medical products to chronic disease patients.
- Pernod Ricard in its $575 million sale of the Wild Turkey business to Gruppo Campari.
- Galderma S.A. in its $420 million cross-border cash tender offer for Collagenex Pharmaceuticals.
- The Carlyle Group in its $1.5 billion acquisition of PQ Corporation from J.P. Morgan Partners, and PQ Corporation’s follow-on acquisition of the Ineos Silicas business from Ineos Group.
- The supervisory board of ABN AMRO in its €72 billion combination with a consortium led by Royal Bank of Scotland. The IFLR 2008 Europe Awards named this transaction “M&A Deal of the Year.”
- Domtar in its $6 billion combination with Weyerhaeuser’s fine paper business in a “reverse Morris Trust” transaction.
- The Carlyle Group in its proposed $1 billion acquisition of ElkCorp and related acquisition of Atlas Roofing from Hood Companies (later terminated).
- Clayton, Dubilier & Rice in its $3 billion “sponsored spin-off” transaction to acquire a 47.5% interest in Sally Beauty, the beauty supplies business spun off by Alberto-Culver.
- Pernod Ricard in its $2.43 billion sale of Dunkin’ Brands, which includes Baskin Robbins, Dunkin’ Donuts and Togo’s Eatery, to a consortium consisting of Bain Capital, The Carlyle Group and Thomas H. Lee Partners.
- Pernod Ricard in its $14 billion acquisition of Allied Domecq.
- Equant in its €1.26 billion “synthetic merger” with France Telecom resulting in France Telecom’s acquisition of the 46% public minority stake in Equant.
- General Electric and NBC in their acquisition of Vivendi Universal Entertainment and formation of NBC Universal, a $43 billion broadcast, cable, studio, film and diversified entertainment company owned 20% by Vivendi and 80% by General Electric.
- Yale Law School, 1987, J.D.
- Yale University, 1983, B.A.