Ezra Borut is a corporate partner and the managing partner of Debevoise’s Tokyo office. He is qualified in New York and registered with the Dai-ichi ...
Read Full Biography
- StepStone Group as lead investor in the $670 million closing of Ampersand Continuation Fund, together with related investment vehicles, formed to acquire the equity interests of three portfolio companies previously held by multiple mature Ampersand funds.
- HarbourVest Partners as lead buyer in a GP-led tender for LP interests in Heritage Healthcare Innovation Fund and a related commitment to Heritage Healthcare Innovation Fund III.
- Japan Post Holdings in its purchase of a strategic stake of approximately 7% of outstanding common shares of Aflac.
- A Japanese utility as a member of an investor group in the group’s acquisition of majority ownership interests in Kleen Energy Systems, LLC, which operates a 620-megawatt natural gas-fired power plant located in Middletown, Connecticut. As part of the transaction, an affiliate of Ares EIF will manage the Kleen Energy power plant on behalf of the investor group.
- Mitsui in its acquisition of an additional 10% limited partnership interest in Penske Truck Leasing from subsidiaries of GE Capital Global Holdings.
- Mitsui in the sale of Transfreight North America, a wholly-owned subsidiary that provides logistics services primarily to automotive manufacturers, to U.S.-based Penske Logistics.
- Mitsui in its acquisition of a 20% limited partnership interest in Penske Truck Leasing Co., L.P., a full service truck leasing, truck rental and logistics business that mainly operates in the U.S., from General Electric Capital Corporation.
- Mitsui in establishing a significant joint venture with Celanese to manufacture methanol at Celanese’s plant in Clear Lake, Texas.
- Mitsui in its joint venture with The Dow Chemical Company to produce biopolymers made from renewable, sugarcane-derived ethanol in Brazil.
- Mitsui in its joint venture with Dow Chemical to construct, own and operate a membrane chlor-alkali facility in Freeport, Texas.
- A large Japanese investor in a significant investment in the U.S. Marcellus shale gas formation.
- Delta Air Lines and Comair, as special aircraft counsel, in their successful Chapter 11 proceedings, involving the refinancing of more than 275 aircraft via new debt or lease arrangements, the return or other disposition of more than 140 aircraft, the elimination of four aircraft types from Delta’s fleet and the litigation of substantial aircraft financing claims.
- A developer of coal gasification projects in the sale of a development project to a private equity fund.
- Mitsui in its purchase of a 50% interest in Brazos Wind Ventures from Padoma Resources I and joint venture with ShellWind Energy.
- Dentsu in its $500 million minority investment and strategic alliance with Publicis.
- U.S. counsel to Mitsubishi Materials Corporation in a 50/50 joint venture with Plansee Holding AG for the powder metallurgical business.
- University of Chicago Law School, 1996, J.D.
- Yale University, 1991, B.A.