Julio Rivera Ríos is a litigation associate in the firm’s International Dispute Resolution Group.
Mr. Rivera Ríos has extensive experience ...
Read Full Biography
- Gramercy Funds Management and Gramercy Peru Holdings in winning a $100 million award in an UNCITRAL arbitration against the Republic of Peru relating to Peru’s agrarian reform bonds, which is the first decision finding Peru liable under the U.S.-Peru Trade Promotion Agreement and at the time was the largest amount awarded against Peru in any treaty arbitration.
- Freeport-McMoRan and Sociedad Minera Cerro Verde in an ICSID arbitration against Peru under the U.S.–Peru Trade Promotion Agreement, with claims of approximately $1 billion. The dispute arises out of the Government’s imposition of royalties, taxes, and penalties and interest against its affiliate, which operates one of the world’s most productive copper mines.
- An international construction company in an LCIA arbitration related to the engineering, procurement and construction of a liquefied natural gas plant worth $9 billion.
- A major construction company in an LCIA arbitration proceeding regarding disagreements arising from the construction of a 240MW hydroelectric power plant.
- An Indian conglomerate in an ICC arbitration related to a shareholder dispute arising out of a mining project worth over US$800 million.
- A Mexican State-owned enterprise on potential Chapter 11 NAFTA claims related to the lease of oil production platforms.
- A public Mexican company in restructuring their investment in order to gain access to treaty protections.
- A multinational investment bank in connection with FCPA investigations conducted by Mexican authorities and potential investigation by the DOJ.
- Escuela Libre de Derecho, Law Degree
- Harvard Law School, LL.M.