Nawi Ukabiala is a litigation associate based in the New York office. His practice focuses on international dispute resolution and public international ...
Read Full Biography
- Freeport-McMoRan and Sociedad Minera Cerro Verde in an ICSID arbitration brought against the Government of Peru under the United States–Peru Free Trade Agreement, with claims in excess of US$1 billion. The dispute arises out of the Government’s imposition of royalties, taxes, and penalties and interest against Sociedad Minera Cerro Verde—one of the world’s most productive copper mines.
- SMM Cerro Verde Netherlands B.V. in an ICSID arbitration brought against the Government of Peru under the Netherlands–Peru BIT, with claims in excess of US$250 million. The dispute arises out of the Government’s imposition of royalties, taxes, and penalties and interest against Sociedad Minera Cerro Verde—one of the world’s most productive copper mines.
- The State of Qatar and Qatari entities and individuals in international claims arising out of the measures imposed by the United Arab Emirates, Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, and Egypt against Qatar, including twice prevailing in proceedings on provisional measures before the International Court of Justice against the United Arab Emirates under the International Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Racial Discrimination, obtaining a unanimous decision in Qatar’s favor in proceedings before the International Court of Justice under the Chicago Convention and the International Air Services Transit Agreement, and in investment arbitrations and claims in other international tribunals.
- An engineering and commissioning contractor in an AUS$2 billion ICC Singapore arbitration concerning the disputed termination of an EPC subcontract to build a captive Combined Cycle power station on an LNG facility.
- The Republic of Iraq in defending claims brought by Agility Warehousing Company relating to a telecommunications investment, substantially prevailing on dispositive jurisdictional objections and recovering almost 90% of claimed costs.
- The Government of Grenada in an ICSID arbitration arising out of reforms to the electricity sector.
- Tethyan Copper Company in its US$6 billion arbitration win against the Islamic Republic of Pakistan, which is the second-largest ICSID award ever rendered.
- New York University School of Law, 2014, LL.M.
- Drake University Law School, 2011, J.D.
- George Washington University, 2006, B.A.