Nawi Ukabiala is an associate in the firm’s International Dispute Resolution Group and Public International Law Group. His practice focuses on international ...
Read Full Biography
- Freeport-McMoRan and Sociedad Minera Cerro Verde in an ICSID arbitration brought against the Government of Peru under the United States–Peru Free Trade Agreement, with claims in excess of US$1 billion. The dispute arises out of the Government’s assessment of royalties, taxes, penalties and interest against Sociedad Minera Cerro Verde—one of the world’s most productive copper mines.
- SMM Cerro Verde Netherlands B.V. in an ICSID arbitration brought against the Government of Peru under the Netherlands–Peru BIT, with claims in excess of US$250 million. The dispute arises out of the Government’s imposition of royalties, taxes, and penalties and interest against Sociedad Minera Cerro Verde—one of the world’s most productive copper mines.
- The State of Qatar and Qatari entities and individuals in international claims arising out of the measures imposed by the United Arab Emirates, Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, and Egypt against Qatar, including in proceedings before the International Court of Justice against the United Arab Emirates, investment arbitrations and claims in other international tribunals.
- An engineering and commissioning contractor in a multibillion dollar ICC arbitration seated in Singapore concerning the disputed termination of an EPC subcontract to build and commission a combined-cycle power plant at an Australian LNG facility.
- The Republic of Iraq in a complete dismissal of claims for over US$650 million brought by Agility Warehousing Company relating to a telecommunications investment, substantially prevailing on jurisdictional objections and achieving a complete victory for the Republic on the merits with a full award of costs, in the first ICSID arbitration brought against the Republic. The Debevoise team was recognized as The American Lawyer’s Litigators of the Week for their win.
- The Government of Grenada in an ICSID arbitration arising out of reforms to the electricity sector.
- Tethyan Copper Company in its $6 billion arbitration win against the Islamic Republic of Pakistan, which is the second-largest ICSID award ever rendered.
- New York University School of Law, 2014, LL.M.
- Drake University Law School, 2011, J.D.
- George Washington University, 2006, B.A.