Paul D. Rubin is a corporate partner based in the Washington, D.C. office and is the Co-Chair of the firm’s Healthcare & Life Sciences Group ...
Read Full Biography
- Due to the sensitive nature of Mr. Rubin’s confidential work counseling companies on FDA/FTC compliance matters, and handling non-public investigations, only a portion of his representative matters can be publicly disclosed.
Mergers & Acquisitions –Regulatory Due Diligence
- Kelso & Company and its portfolio company, Eagle Family Foods Group, in their acquisition of General Mills’ Helper main meals and Suddenly Salad side dishes businesses, in a transaction valued at approximately $610 million.
- Clayton, Dubilier & Rice and TPG Capital in their acquisition of Covetrus, a global animal-health technology and services company, for a total enterprise value of approximately $4 billion.
- Morgan Stanley Capital Partners in its acquisition of Fairway Lawns, a residential lawncare services provider.
- Resonetics, a leader in micro-manufacturing for the medical device and diagnostics equipment, in its acquisition of EaglePicher Medical Power, a medical device manufacturer.
- Blackstone as lead investor in DNAnexus’ $200 million financing round.
- Carlyle in its strategic partnership with Orsini, an independent specialty pharmacy focused on rare diseases, gene therapies and complex conditions.
- Carestream Dental, a Clayton, Dubilier & Rice portfolio company and leading provider of dental technology, in the $600 million carve-out sale of its Scanning Technology business to Envista, a leading global dental products company.
- Carlyle in its investment in Resonetics, a leader in micro-manufacturing for the medical device and diagnostics equipment industries, valuing the company at approximately $2.25 billion.
- Carlyle in its strategic growth investment and acquisition of a majority stake in Saama, a leading AI-driven intelligent clinical cloud company that enables the life sciences industry to conduct faster and safer clinical developments and regulatory programs, valuing the company at up to $430 million.
- Blackstone in its investment in Medable, the leading cloud platform for patient-centered clinical research, valuing Medable at $2.1 billion.
- Pactiv Evergreen in its $380 million acquisition of Fabri-Kal, a U.S. manufacturer of foodservice and custom thermoformed plastic packaging solutions.
- Clayton, Dubilier & Rice in its $6 billion acquisition and subsequent combination of Fort Dearborn and Multi-Color Corporation, to create the world's largest label solutions company.
- Kelso & Company in its acquisition of Ferraro Foods, a specialty foodservice distributor.
- Blackstone in its investment in Ginger, a leader in on-demand behavioral healthcare.
- CPP Investments as lead investor in a $400 million Series C financing for insitro, a machine learning-driven drug discovery and development company.
- Morgan Stanley Capital Partners in the sale of Manna Pro Products, a recognized leader in pet care, to Carlyle.
- TPG Capital in the sale of Adare Pharmaceuticals, a leading specialty contract development and manufacturing organization, to Thomas H. Lee Partners and Frazier Healthcare Partners and the related separation of Adare’s Eosinophilic Esophagitis product into a TPG-backed entity.
- Johnson & Johnson in its acquisition of TARIS, a biotechnology company specializing in the development of a novel drugs and delivery technologies for the treatment of cancer.
- Allergan in its sale of Brazikumab to AstraZeneca and Zenpep to Nestle.
- Prudential Financial in its $2.35 billion acquisition of Assurance IQ, a direct-to-consumer platform that transforms the buying experience for individuals seeking personalized health and financial wellness solutions.
- Manna Pro, a manufacturer and marketer of pet care and nutrition products and a Morgan Stanley Capital Partners portfolio company, in its acquisition of Hero Pet Brands.
- CPP Investments in the $700 million growth equity financing of Sana Biotechnology, a U.S.-based biotech company focused on creating and delivering engineered cells as treatments for disease.
FDA/FTC Compliance Matters
- Numerous FDA and non-FDA regulated companies in confidential investigations.
- A leading marketing company in settling advertising allegations with the FTC.
- Numerous pharmaceutical, medical device, and consumer product companies in addressing complex FDA compliance issues.
- Numerous investment banks and financial services companies in various hemp and CBD regulatory issues.
- Medical Device Innovation Consortium, in preparing a comprehensive “cybersecurity playbook” for the medical device industry.
- University of Pennsylvania Law School, J.D.
- University of Pennsylvania, Wharton School, B.S.