- 94% of the firm’s corporate partners are ranked by Chambers, The Legal 500 or IFLR1000.
The American Lawyer
- Ranked #4 on The American Lawyer 2021 “A-List” and only firm to appear on the list every year since its inception. The A-List recognizes firms based on a combination of factors, including racial diversity and gender diversity.
- Seven Debevoise partners have been named “Dealmaker of the Year” by The American Lawyer over the last 13 years.
- Recognized as the “International Arbitration Firm of the Year” at the Benchmark Litigation US Awards (2021). This is the fifth time that the firm has received this award—more often than any other firm.
- Recognized as Tier 1 National Litigation Firm in 2021 in six practice areas: General Commercial Litigation, Insurance, International Arbitration, Product Liability and Recall, Securities and White Collar Criminal/Enforcement/Investigations.
- For third consecutive year, named “White Collar Crime/Enforcement/Investigations Firm of the Year” at the Benchmark Litigation US Awards East (2020).
- Four Debevoise women litigators were named to Benchmark Litigation’s 2021 “40 and Under Hotlist.”
- For the fourth consecutive year, eight Debevoise women litigators were named to Benchmark Litigation’s 2021 Top 250 Women in Litigation list.
Chambers & Partners Awards
- “International Arbitration Law Firm of the Year” ̶ Chambers USA Awards 2021
- Received the Chambers Latin America Award for Excellence in International Arbitration three times—more often than any other firm.
- “Investment Funds Law Firm of the Year” ̶ Chambers USA – New York Awards for Excellence 2019
- “Firm of the Year”: Corporate Crime ̶ Chambers USA ‒ District of Columbia Awards 2019
- Ranked Band 1 for both International Arbitration and Public International Law by Chambers Global every year for the last seven years ̶ only firm in the world to be so ranked.
- 11 Debevoise lawyers earned Band 1 rankings and the firm received Band 1 rankings in the following 16 categories:
Arbitration (International) – Global Market Leader
Arbitration (International) – Latin America-wide
Intellectual Property: Trademark, Copyright & Trade Secrets – USA
International Arbitration – USA
Corporate Crime & Investigations – USA
Corporate Investigations – Latin America-wide
Corporate Investigations/ Anti-Corruption – Global-wide
Disputes (International & Cross-Border) – USA
Insurance – Global-wide
Investigations & Enforcement (International & Cross-Border) – USA
Investigations & Enforcement (International & Cross-Border) – UK
Investment Funds & Asset Management (International & Cross-Border) – USA
Investment Funds: Private Equity – Asia-Pacific Region
Investment Funds: Private Equity (International Firms) – China
Investment Funds: Private Equity: Fund Formation – USA
Public International Law – Global Market Leader
14 Debevoise lawyers were ranked Band 1 and 10 practices earned top rankings (Band 1) for the New York and/or Nationwide practice areas in 2021.
Corporate Crime & Investigations: The Elite (Nationwide)
Insurance: Transactional & Regulatory (New York and Nationwide)
Intellectual Property: Trademark, Copyright & Trade Secrets (New York and Nationwide)
International Arbitration: The Elite (Nationwide)
Litigation: White-Collar Crime & Government Investigations: The Elite (New York)
Media & Entertainment: Corporate (New York)
Private Equity: Fund Formation (Nationwide)
Securities: Regulation: Enforcement (Nationwide)
Other Chambers Guides
- Seven Debevoise Lawyers were ranked Band 1 and two practices were ranked Band 1 in Chambers UK (2021): Financial Crimes: Corporates and Public International Law.
- The firm was ranked Band 1 for Investment Funds: Private Equity in Chambers Asia Pacific: Asia Pacific Region (2021).
- The firm’s Latin America Group achieved top rankings in the Corporate Crime & Investigations, Corporate/ M&A and International Arbitration categories in Chambers Latin America: Latin America-wide (2019 and 2020).
- Recognized for “PE Dealmaker of the Year (Large Cap)” and “Most Innovative Deal of the Year (Middle Market)” at The Deal Awards in 2021.
- Recognized for “Healthcare Deal of the Year” at The Deal Awards in 2020.
Global Arbitration Review
- Winner of “International Arbitration Practice that Impressed” category ̶ GAR Awards 2020.
- Named among the 2020 “GAR 30,” Global Arbitration Review’s definitive ranking of the world’s leading international arbitration practices.
- “Private Equity Deal of the Year” (Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan) ̶ inaugural IFLR1000 India Awards 2020
- “M&A Deal of the Year” (Capital Group Private Markets and other financial sponsors) ̶ inaugural IFLR1000 Sub-Saharan Africa Awards 2020
- Recommended for Financial Services Regulatory in Hong Kong ̶ IFLR1000 2021
International Tax Review
- At the 2019 International Tax Review European Tax Awards, we were honored with “European Impact Deal.”
Latin Lawyer 250
- Debevoise was again recognized as a “Recommended International Law Firm” by Latin Lawyer 250 2021.
- Debevoise International Dispute Resolution, Fund Formation/Investment Management, M&A and White Collar Groups named “2021 Practice Groups of the Year” by Law360.
- Debevoise Intellectual Property and Fund Formation/Investment Management Groups recognized as “2020 Practice Groups of the Year” by Law360.
- Debevoise International Disputes Resolution Group named a “2019 International Arbitration Practice Group of the Year” by Law360.
- Debevoise Capital Markets and Private Equity Groups recognized as “2018 Practice Groups of the Year” by Law360.
- Consistently named among the top 50 U.S. firms in London.
The Legal 500
- Ten Tier 1 practices and numerous Debevoise lawyers recognized as Hall of Famers, Leading Lawyers, Next Generation Partners and Rising Stars in The Legal 500 US 2020.
- Ranked Tier 1 in Investment Funds in The Legal 500 Asia Pacific.
- Ranked Tier 1 in Fund Finance, Public International Law and Regulatory Investigations and Corporate Crime in The Legal 500 UK.
The M&A Advisor
- Honored at The M&A Advisor's 2021 Turnaround Awards for "Chapter 11 Reorganization of the Year (over $1 billion)" and "Distressed M&A Deal of the Year ($500 million - $1 billion)."
Private Equity International
- Advised on four matters honored by the 2020 Private Equity International Awards, including all three deals named in the “Secondaries Deal of the Year in Europe” category, and the winner of the “Fundraise of the Year in Asia” category.
- Inducted into the PEI Hall of Fame for having won 20 PEI Awards across North America, EMEA and Asia from 2001 to 2019.
- Recognized as “Law Firm of the Year in Asia” in Fund Formation and in four additional categories at the 2019 Private Equity International Awards.
Who’s Who Legal
- Recognized as 2021 “Firm of the Year” in the Investigations and Business Crime Defense categories by Who’s Who Legal.
Who’s Who Legal: Arbitration
- 19 Debevoise lawyers were recognized by Who’s Who Legal Arbitration 2020.
National Legal Aid & Defender Association
NLADA has recognized Debevoise with a 2021 Beacon of Justice Award for The Holloway Project. Founded by John Gleeson, a litigation partner and former U.S. District Court judge, The Holloway Project is the firm’s successful pro bono effort to seek relief for federal prisoners serving excessively long sentences resulting from now-defunct mandatory sentencing provisions.
Center for Justice and Accountability
In March 2020, the Center for Justice and Accountability presented the Partner in Justice Award to Debevoise for our work as co-counsel with CJA in groundbreaking cases seeking accountability for the Lutheran Church Massacre, one of the worst atrocities committed during Liberia’s back-to-back civil wars, and for the Sri Lankan military’s systematic campaign of violence against journalists during the end of its civil war.
Volunteers of Legal Services
Debevoise of counsel John Kiernan was awarded the Lifetime Service Award by Volunteers of Legal Services in June 2020 for “his decades of service across nearly every area of pro bono need.”
Manhattan Legal Services
Debevoise and Citizens Bank were honored by Manhattan Legal Services for our many joint representations of low-income New Yorkers applying for naturalization.
Kids In Need Of Defense (KIND)
A Debevoise team was named by KIND as among their Pro Bono Attorneys of the Year for being “fierce advocates” in our representation of our client, her two sons and her niece who were forcibly separated at the U.S. border under the “zero-tolerance” policy.
Debevoise’s pro bono program was recognized in a GivX Report, a framework that helps analyze, benchmark and celebrate community investment, as having one of the leading community investment programs among law firms in the UK. The firm was ranked among the top three contributing law firms and our professional volunteering in particular was celebrated as one of the top five out of contributors across all sectors.
LawWorks Annual Pro Bono Awards
Debevoise was recognized at the annual LawWorks Pro Bono Awards, where the firm was highly commended in the Best International Pro Bono category for our work with the Centre for Reproductive Rights, and won in the Best New Pro Bono Activity category for our work with the UK charity Bail for Immigration Detainees.
Diversity & Inclusion
Human Rights Campaign Corporate Equality Index
Earned a 100% ranking and the designation as one of the “Best Places to Work for LGBTQ Equality” in the 2021 Human Rights Campaign’s Corporate Equality Index
The American Lawyer Diversity Scorecard 2020
Ranked in the top 5% of law firms in the AmLaw 2020 Diversity Scorecard.
Law360 Diversity Snapshot 2021
Ranked in the top 5% of law firms in the Law360 Diversity Snapshot.
Law360 Glass Ceiling Report 2020
Recognized as a top law firm for women attorneys in the Law360 Glass Ceiling Report.
Chambers Associate 2020
Recognized as one of the “Leading Firms for D&I Culture” by Chambers Associate 2020.
Working Mother 2019
Recognized as one of the “60 Best Law Firms for Women” and was named a Hall of Fame honoree by Working Mother. Hall of Famers have made the list at least 10 times.