- 94% of the firm’s corporate partners are ranked by Chambers, The Legal 500 or IFLR1000.
The American Lawyer
- Ranked #9 on The American Lawyer 2022 “A-List” and only firm to appear on the list every year since its inception. The A-List recognizes firms based on a combination of factors, including racial diversity and gender diversity.
- Eight Debevoise partners have been named “Dealmaker of the Year” by The American Lawyer over the last 14 years.
- Recognized as the “International Arbitration Firm of the Year” at the Benchmark Litigation US Awards (2021). This is the fifth time that the firm has received this award—more often than any other firm.
- Recognized as Tier 1 National Litigation Firm in 2021 in six practice areas: General Commercial Litigation, Insurance, International Arbitration, Product Liability and Recall, Securities and White Collar Criminal/Enforcement/Investigations.
- Honored with the International Arbitration Firm of the Year Award for the second consecutive year, and the White Collar Firm of the Year Award at the Benchmark Litigation US East Coast Awards (2022).
- Four Debevoise women litigators were named to Benchmark Litigation’s 2021 “40 and Under Hotlist.”
- Nine Debevoise women litigators were named to Benchmark Litigation’s 2022 "Top 250 Women in Litigation" list. Since the inception of Benchmark Litigation's "Top 250 Women in Litigation" list in 2013, the firm's partners have been recognized every year for demonstrating its tradition of serving clients at the highest levels and of contributing to the development and advancement of distinguished women leaders.
Chambers & Partners Awards
- “International Arbitration Law Firm of the Year” ̶ Chambers USA Awards 2021
- Received the Chambers Latin America Award for Excellence in International Arbitration three times—more often than any other firm.
Ranked Band 1 for both International Arbitration and Public International Law by Chambers Global every year for the last seven years ̶ only firm in the world to be so ranked.
Debevoise was recognized in Chambers Global 2022 for leadership in 37 practice areas worldwide.
11 Debevoise lawyers earned Band 1 rankings and the firm received Band 1 rankings in the following 17 categories:
- Arbitration (International) – Global Market Leader
- Arbitration (International) – Latin America – International Counsel
- Intellectual Property: Trademark, Copyright & Trade Secrets – USA
- International Arbitration: The Elite – USA
- Corporate Crime & Investigations – USA
- Corporate Investigations – Latin America– International Counsel
- Corporate Investigations/ Anti-Corruption – Global: Multi-Jurisdictional
- Disputes (International & Cross-Border) – USA
- Insurance – Global Multi-Jurisdictional
- Investigations & Enforcement (International & Cross-Border) – USA
- Investigations & Enforcement (International & Cross-Border) – UK
- Investment Funds & Asset Management (International & Cross-Border) – USA
- Investment Funds: Private Equity – Asia-Pacific Region
- Investment Funds: Private Equity (International Firms) – China
- Investment Funds: Private Equity: Fund Formation – Global: Multi-Jurisdictional
- Private Equity: Fund Formation – Global-wide
- Private Equity: Fund Formation – USA
- Public International Law – Global Market Leaders
In 2022, 13 Debevoise lawyers were ranked Band 1 in 15 practice areas and 10 practices earned top rankings (Band 1) for the New York and/or Nationwide practice areas.
The following practices have been recognized as Law Firm of the Year at the Chambers USA Awards:
- Intellectual Property (2022)
- International Arbitration (2021)
- Investment Funds (2019)
Other Chambers Guides
- Seven Debevoise Lawyers were ranked Band 1 and two practices were ranked Band 1 in Chambers UK (2021): Financial Crimes: Corporates and Public International Law.
- The firm was ranked Band 1 for Investment Funds: Private Equity in Chambers Asia Pacific: Asia Pacific Region (2021).
- For the 4th consecutive year, the firm’s Latin America Group achieved top rankings in the Corporate Crime & Investigations, Corporate/ M&A and International Arbitration categories in Chambers Latin America (2019,2020, 2021 and 2022). We are ranked Band 1 for Corporate Crime & Investigations and for International Arbitration.
- Recognized for “PE Dealmaker of the Year (Large Cap)” and “Most Innovative Deal of the Year (Middle Market)” at The Deal Awards in 2021.
- Recognized for “Healthcare Deal of the Year” at The Deal Awards in 2020.
Global Arbitration Review
- Winner of “International Arbitration Practice that Impressed” category ̶ GAR Awards 2020.
- Named among the 2020 “GAR 30,” Global Arbitration Review’s definitive ranking of the world’s leading international arbitration practices.
- Ranked Tier 1 for PE Funds in Hong Kong and in the USA – IFLR1000 2022
- Ranked Tier 1 for PE Funds and for Private Equity in the USA – IFLR1000 2021
- Recommended for Financial Services Regulatory in Hong Kong ̶ IFLR1000 2021
- “Private Equity Deal of the Year” (Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan) ̶ inaugural IFLR1000 India Awards 2020
- “M&A Deal of the Year” (Capital Group Private Markets and other financial sponsors) ̶ inaugural IFLR1000 Sub-Saharan Africa Awards 2020
International Tax Review
- At the 2019 International Tax Review European Tax Awards, we were honored with “European Impact Deal.”
Latin Lawyer 250
- Debevoise was again recognized as a “Recommended International Law Firm” by Latin Lawyer 250 2021.
- Debevoise International Dispute Resolution, Investment Management, M&A and White Collar Groups named “2021 Practice Groups of the Year” by Law360.
- Debevoise Intellectual Property and Fund Formation/Investment Management Groups recognized as “2020 Practice Groups of the Year” by Law360.
- Debevoise International Disputes Resolution Group named a “2019 International Arbitration Practice Group of the Year” by Law360.
- Debevoise Capital Markets and Private Equity Groups recognized as “2018 Practice Groups of the Year” by Law360.
- Consistently named among the top 50 U.S. firms in London.
The Legal 500
- Ten Tier 1 practices and numerous Debevoise lawyers recognized as Hall of Famers, Leading Lawyers, Next Generation Partners and Rising Stars in The Legal 500 US 2020.
- Ranked Tier 1 in Investment Funds in The Legal 500 Asia Pacific.
- Ranked Tier 1 in Fund Finance, Public International Law and Regulatory Investigations and Corporate Crime in The Legal 500 UK.
The M&A Advisor
- Honored at The M&A Advisor's 2021 Turnaround Awards for "Chapter 11 Reorganization of the Year (over $1 billion)" and "Distressed M&A Deal of the Year ($500 million - $1 billion)."
Private Equity International
- Advised on four matters honored by the 2020 Private Equity International Awards, including all three deals named in the “Secondaries Deal of the Year in Europe” category, and the winner of the “Fundraise of the Year in Asia” category.
- Inducted into the PEI Hall of Fame for having won 20 PEI Awards across North America, EMEA and Asia from 2001 to 2019.
- Recognized as “Law Firm of the Year in Asia” in Fund Formation and in four additional categories at the 2019 Private Equity International Awards.
Who’s Who Legal
- Recognized as 2021 “Firm of the Year” in the Investigations and Business Crime Defense categories by Who’s Who Legal.
Who’s Who Legal: Arbitration
- 18 Debevoise lawyers were recognized by Who’s Who Legal Arbitration 2023.
National Legal Aid & Defender Association
NLADA has recognized Debevoise with a 2021 Beacon of Justice Award for The Holloway Project. Founded by John Gleeson, a litigation partner and former U.S. District Court judge, The Holloway Project is the firm’s successful pro bono effort to seek relief for federal prisoners serving excessively long sentences resulting from now-defunct mandatory sentencing provisions.
Center for Justice and Accountability
In March 2020, the Center for Justice and Accountability presented the Partner in Justice Award to Debevoise for our work as co-counsel with CJA in groundbreaking cases seeking accountability for the Lutheran Church Massacre, one of the worst atrocities committed during Liberia’s back-to-back civil wars, and for the Sri Lankan military’s systematic campaign of violence against journalists during the end of its civil war.
Volunteers of Legal Services
Debevoise of counsel John Kiernan was awarded the Lifetime Service Award by Volunteers of Legal Services in June 2020 for “his decades of service across nearly every area of pro bono need.”
Manhattan Legal Services
Debevoise and Citizens Bank were honored by Manhattan Legal Services for our many joint representations of low-income New Yorkers applying for naturalization.
Kids In Need Of Defense (KIND)
A Debevoise team was named by KIND as among their Pro Bono Attorneys of the Year for being “fierce advocates” in our representation of our client, her two sons and her niece who were forcibly separated at the U.S. border under the “zero-tolerance” policy.
Debevoise’s pro bono program was recognized in a GivX Report, a framework that helps analyze, benchmark and celebrate community investment, as having one of the leading community investment programs among law firms in the UK. The firm was ranked among the top three contributing law firms and our professional volunteering in particular was celebrated as one of the top five out of contributors across all sectors.
LawWorks Annual Pro Bono Awards
Debevoise was recognized at the annual LawWorks Pro Bono Awards, where the firm was highly commended in the Best International Pro Bono category for our work with the Centre for Reproductive Rights, and won in the Best New Pro Bono Activity category for our work with the UK charity Bail for Immigration Detainees.
Diversity & Inclusion
Human Rights Campaign Corporate Equality Index 2022
Earned a 100% ranking and the designation as one of the “Best Places to Work for LGBTQ Equality” in the 2022 Human Rights Campaign’s Corporate Equality Index
Chambers Associate 2022
Recognized as one of the “Leading Firms for Diversity and Inclusion” by Chambers Associate 2022.
Leadership Council on Legal Diversity 2022 Compass Award
Debevoise was a Leadership Council on Legal Diversity (“LCLD”) 2022 Compass Award recipient, recognizing the firm’s continued commitment to building a more diverse and inclusive legal profession.
Law360 Social Impact Leader
Debevoise was named a 2022 Social Impact Leader by Law360 in its inaugural Social Impact ranking, recognizing the firm’s dedication to racial and ethnic diversity, gender equality, employee engagement and pro bono service.