Christopher Boyne is a partner based in the London office, where he works in the Litigation Department. Mr. Boyne’s practice focuses on complex litigation ...
Read Full Biography
- Sberbank in its successful challenge to the jurisdiction of the English High Court to hear a $300 million conspiracy claim brought by a subsidiary of Russian bank VTB.
- A major oil and gas company in a multijurisdictional dispute concerning the ownership of interests in a services group in Russia and the CIS.
- Petro Poroshenko, the fifth President of Ukraine, in his victory in the High Court of England & Wales, successfully challenging the jurisdiction of the English courts to hear a $250+ million conspiracy claim brought against him and the former head of the National Bank of Ukraine, related to the nationalization and bail-in of PrivatBank, Ukriane’s largest bank.
- A high net worth individual and various related corporate entities in bringing Commercial Court proceedings to recover substantial damages in connection with claims for fraudulent misrepresentation, breach of contract and other claims arising out of a joint venture arrangement.
- A private equity fund in a variety of cross-border disputes arising from the collapse of the Abraaj Group, previously the largest private equity firm in the Middle East.
- Tethyan Copper Company Pty Limited in a challenge against an ICC Award under ss. 67 & 68 of the 1996 Act.
- Ultra high net worth individuals in a dispute involving a global estate worth $ billions.
- A major Russian bank in multiple proceedings across a number of jurisdictions, including England, arising out of the financial collapse of a major international oil refinery.
- Various companies in the AIG Group in their successful appeal of $100 million judgment concerning claims brought by multiple former employees in connection with bonuses allegedly payable under the terms of a deferred compensation scheme.
- Whiteleave Holdings in a shareholder dispute involving Rusal and Crispian with respect to PJSC MMC Norilsk Nickel.
- NLMK in its successful defence in the English High Court against an application to enforce a Russian arbitral award that had been set aside by the Russian courts.
- Robert Tchenguiz and his associated trusts in a commercial court claim against Grant Thornton and others for damages arising out of the Defendants involvement in the SFO’s investigation into Mr. Tchenguiz. Debevoise were brought in as part of a new legal team on very short notice. Settlement was reached with a related party shortly after the case had opened.
- BAT Industries in proceedings arising from the $1 billion clean-up of the Fox River in the U.S., including proceedings brought by BAT in the High Court against Appvion and Windward Prospects (certain companies which used to form part of the BAT Group) and proceedings seeking to ensure the recovery of around $800 million in dividends paid by Windward to a company called Sequana.
- Zolfo Cooper as administrators of Bankas Snoras in Commercial Court proceedings against former shareholders and directors arising out of alleged misappropriation of funds and in a related application for a freezing order (including successfully defending the first defendant’s application to have the freezing order set aside).
- PwC as joint administrators of Lehman Brothers on a variety of matters including the client money application that was ultimately before the Supreme Court and the ISDA 2(a) (iii) litigation.
- A large multinational company in an action brought on behalf of foreign nationals alleged to have suffered injuries at a foreign site ultimately owned and controlled by the defendant companies.
- A leading firm of accountants in an investigation by the FRC.
- A major high street bank in proceedings for a declaration concerning the interpretation of certain provisions of a complex relationship agreement.
- PwC as joint administrators of Enron in pursuing a substantial transaction at an undervalue claim.
- A major high street bank in respect of potential shareholder claims and in a related strike out application.
- A defence and aerospace company in LCIA arbitration proceedings for alleged wrongful termination of a service agreement.
- King's College London, 2003, LL.B.