Elie J. Worenklein is a corporate counsel and a member of the firm’s Restructuring Group.
Mr. Worenklein joined Debevoise in 2015. Mr. Worenklein ...
Read Full Biography
- Philippine Airlines in its Chapter 11 bankruptcy case in New York that implemented a comprehensive restructuring through a pre-arranged plan of reorganization and emergence from bankruptcy with the support of substantially all of its lenders, lessors, aircraft and engine suppliers, and its majority shareholder, allowing PAL to successfully reorganize its finances and fleet to navigate the COVID-19 crisis and become a leaner and better-capitalized airline.
- McKinsey & Company in multiple bankruptcy proceedings relating to its disclosures as debtor advisor.
- Georgia-Pacific and Koch Industries in the Chapter 11 proceedings of Georgia-Pacific affiliate Bestwall in the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Western District of North Carolina.
- La Paloma Generating Company, a California-based power producer, in its $524 million Chapter 11 proceedings in the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the District of Delaware, a plan for which was successfully confirmed following a disputed confirmation hearing.
- Syncora Holdings, as insurer of power revenue bonds issued by PREPA, Puerto Rico’s troubled electric utility, in the highly-publicized and complex restructuring negotiations relating to PREPA’s $8.3 billion of funded debt.
- CHC Group, one of the largest global commercial helicopter service companies in the world, as aircraft counsel in its Chapter 11 proceedings in the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Northern District of Texas, in which CHC successfully restructured more than $2 billion in indebtedness. Debevoise was named joint winners of “Restructuring Deal of the Year (Over $1B to $5B)” at the 12th Annual M&A Advisor Turnaround Awards for this representation.
- Standard General in its highly publicized distressed investment in clothing manufacturer and distributor American Apparel. Debevoise also represented Standard General in American Apparel’s pre-arranged Chapter 11 proceedings in the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the District of Delaware, and in its subsequent case filed in 2017.
- Oaktree Capital Management in the Chapter 11 proceedings of Energy Future Holdings and its subsidiaries. With over $49 billion in debt, EFH is the largest leveraged buyout ever to file for bankruptcy.
- The International Trademark Association in amicus briefs filed in more than ten appeals, including before the U.S. Supreme Court.
- Yeshiva University, Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law, 2011, J.D.
- Touro College, 2007, B.S.