Kenneth Berman, a member of the Investment Management Group, focuses his practice on providing regulatory and compliance advice to financial services firms, ...
Read Full Biography
- Mitsui USA in its acquisition of a minority non-controlling interest in Capitala, an asset management firm, and the formation of a strategic partnership between the two firms.
- AXA and AXA Equitable Holdings on the initial public offering of AXA Equitable Holdings on the New York Stock Exchange for approximately $4 billion, and AXA Equitable Holdings in its offering and sale of $3.8 billion of senior notes.
- Ambac Assurance Corporation, a Wisconsin domiciled insurance company, in a holistic restructuring transaction that involved three exchange offers of existing debt securities and other payment obligations for approximately $2.2 billion of newly-issued debt securities, as well as a new-money financing collateralized by the future proceeds of certain litigation claims against RMBS originators.
- EIG Global Energy Partners in the formation of a joint venture with FS Investments to manage the $4 billion FS Energy and Power Fund.
- High Ridge Brands, a leading personal care consumer products company and a portfolio company of Clayton, Dubilier & Rice, in the financing aspects of its acquisition of Dr. Fresh.
- Guardian Life in its sale of RS Investments to Victory Capital.
- P2 Capital, with Goldman Sachs Capital Partners, in its $1.6 billion sale of Interline Brands to Home Depot.
- Apollo Global Management in its acquisition of a majority interest in the asset management business of AR Capital (subsequently withdrawn), its acquisition of the wholesale distribution business of RCS Capital and its substantial minority equity investment in RCS Capital.
- The D. E. Shaw Group, a global investment and technology development firm, in the sale of a 20% equity interest in the management companies of The D. E. Shaw Group previously owned by Lehman Brothers to an entity managed by Hillspire, the family office that serves as the investment vehicle for Google Executive Chairman Eric Schmidt and his family.
- Baring Private Equity Asia, in the formation of Baring Asia Private Equity Fund VI, a $4 billion private equity fund, and, at the time of final close, the largest private equity fund ever raised by an Asia-based manager.
- Mitsui in its acquisition of a 20% limited partnership interest in Penske Truck Leasing Co., L.P., a full service truck leasing, truck rental and logistics business that mainly operates in the U.S., from General Electric Capital Corporation.
- New York Life Investments in its acquisition of IndexIQ, a leader in the liquid alternative exchange-traded fund industry.
- Kelso & Company in its acquisition with Estancia Capital Management of American Beacon.
- MBIA in its sale of Cutwater Asset Management, an investment management company with $23 billion in assets under management, to BNY Mellon.
- Northwestern Mutual in its $2.7 billion sale of Russell Investments to the London Stock Exchange Group.
- Morgan Stanley Infrastructure Partners in the formation of North Haven Infrastructure Partners II, a $3.6 billion global infrastructure fund.
- TIAA-CREF in its $6.25 billion acquisition of Nuveen Investments.
- HarbourVest Partners and a consortium of investors in the indirect acquisition of a $650 million portfolio of private equity and hedge fund interests; through the acquisition of 40% of the outstanding limited partnership interests in The Endowment PMF Master Fund, L.P., a registered investment company and passively managed fund of funds.
- New York Life Investments in its acquisition of a majority interest in Private Advisors, a manager of private equity and hedge funds of funds with $3.9 billion in assets under management.
- American Investment Council in the implementation of the regulatory changes affecting the private equity industry as a result of the Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act.
- American International Group and AIA Group in AIA’s spin-off from AIG and $20.51 billion initial public offering and listing in Hong Kong, constituting the largest IPO in Hong Kong’s history and the world’s largest IPO in the insurance sector.
- American International Group in the sale of its investment advisory and asset management business to Pacific Century Group.
- Stanfield Capital Partners in its agreement with The Carlyle Group to transfer to Carlyle the management of $5.1 billion in CLO and other credit assets.
- Prudential Financial in the combination of its retail securities business, Prudential Securities, with Wachovia Securities to create the third largest brokerage firm in the U.S. and in its $4.5 billion sale of such interest to Wells Fargo.
- Security Benefit Corporation in its acquisition of Rydex Holdings, manager of approximately $16 billion in assets, including the Rydex Group of Funds.
- Principal Financial in its $740 million acquisition from Washington Mutual of WM Advisors, manager of approximately $26 billion in assets, including the WM Group of Funds.
- New York Life Investments in its acquisition of Institutional Capital Corporation, an investment management firm.
- University of Chicago Law School, 1979, J.D.
- Dickinson College, 1976, B.A.