Kenneth Berman is of counsel in Debevoise & Plimpton LLP’s Washington, D.C. office and a member of the Investment Management Group. His practice ...
Read Full Biography
- IDB Bank, the largest Israeli bank operating in the U.S., in the creation of IDB Lido Wealth, a strategic partnership and joint venture with Lido Advisors, a full-service, independent investment advisor.
- Aflac Global Investments, a subsidiary of Aflac, in its $3 billion strategic partnership with Varagon Capital Partners, a direct lender to middle market companies.
- J.C. Flowers and AmeriLife Group in the sale of AmeriLife to Thomas H. Lee Partners.
- Carlyle in its $1.8 billion acquisition, with T&D Holdings, of a majority interest in Fortitude Re.
- Mitsui USA in its acquisition of a non-controlling interest in Capitala, a private equity and credit manager, and the formation of a strategic partnership between the two firms.
- Citizens Financial in its agreement to purchase certain assets of Bowstring Advisors, an Atlanta-based M&A advisory firm.
- AXA and AXA Equitable Holdings on the initial public offering of AXA Equitable Holdings on the New York Stock Exchange for approximately $4 billion, and AXA Equitable Holdings in its offering and sale of $3.8 billion of senior notes.
- Ambac Assurance Corporation, a Wisconsin domiciled insurance company, in a holistic restructuring transaction that involved three exchange offers of existing debt securities and other payment obligations for approximately $2.2 billion of newly-issued debt securities, as well as a new-money financing collateralized by the future proceeds of certain litigation claims against RMBS originators.
- EIG in the formation of a joint venture with FS Investments to manage the $4 billion FS Energy and Power Fund.
- High Ridge Brands, a leading personal care consumer products company and a Clayton, Dubilier & Rice portfolio company, in the financing aspects of its acquisition of Dr. Fresh.
- Guardian in its sale of RS Investments to Victory Capital.
- P2 Capital, with Goldman Sachs Capital Partners, in its $1.6 billion sale of Interline Brands to Home Depot.
- Apollo Global Management in its acquisition of a majority interest in the asset management business of AR Capital (subsequently withdrawn), its acquisition of the wholesale distribution business of RCS Capital and its substantial minority equity investment in RCS Capital. (Terminated)
- The D. E. Shaw Group, a global investment and technology development firm, in the sale of a 20% equity interest in the management companies of The D. E. Shaw Group previously owned by Lehman Brothers to an entity managed by Hillspire.
- Baring Private Equity Asia, in the formation of Baring Asia Private Equity Fund VI, a $4 billion pan-Asia private equity fund.
- Mitsui in its acquisition of a 20% limited partnership interest in Penske Truck Leasing Co., L.P., a full service truck leasing, truck rental and logistics business that mainly operates in the U.S., from General Electric Capital Corporation.
- New York Life Investments in its acquisition of IndexIQ, a leader in the liquid alternative exchange-traded fund industry.
- Kelso & Company in its acquisition with Estancia Capital Management of American Beacon.
- MBIA in its sale of Cutwater Asset Management, an investment management company with $23 billion in assets under management, to BNY Mellon.
- Northwestern Mutual in its $2.7 billion sale of Russell Investments to the London Stock Exchange Group.
- Morgan Stanley Infrastructure Partners in the formation of North Haven Infrastructure Partners II, a $3.6 billion global infrastructure fund.
- TIAA-CREF in its $6.25 billion acquisition of Nuveen Investments.
- HarbourVest Partners and a consortium of investors in the indirect acquisition of a $650 million portfolio of private equity and hedge fund interests; through the acquisition of 40% of the outstanding limited partnership interests in The Endowment PMF Master Fund, L.P., a registered investment company and passively managed fund of funds.
- New York Life Investments in its acquisition of a majority interest in Private Advisors, a manager of private equity and hedge funds of funds with $3.9 billion in assets under management.
- American Investment Council in the implementation of the regulatory changes affecting the private equity industry as a result of the Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act.
- American International Group and AIA Group in AIA’s spin-off from AIG and $20.51 billion initial public offering and listing in Hong Kong, constituting the largest IPO in Hong Kong’s history and the world’s largest IPO in the insurance sector.
- American International Group in the sale of its investment advisory and asset management business to Pacific Century Group.
- Stanfield Capital Partners in its agreement with Carlyle to transfer to Carlyle the management of $5.1 billion in CLO and other credit assets.
- Prudential Financial in the combination of its retail securities business, Prudential Securities, with Wachovia Securities to create the third largest brokerage firm in the U.S. and in its $4.5 billion sale of such interest to Wells Fargo.
- Security Benefit Corporation in its acquisition of Rydex Holdings, manager of approximately $16 billion in assets, including the Rydex Group of Funds.
- Principal Financial in its $740 million acquisition from Washington Mutual of WM Advisors, manager of approximately $26 billion in assets, including the WM Group of Funds.
- New York Life Investments in its acquisition of Institutional Capital Corporation, an investment management firm.
- University of Chicago Law School, 1979, J.D.
- Dickinson College, 1976, B.A.