Susan Reagan Gittes is a litigation partner whose practice focuses on complex civil litigation and regulatory inquiries.
Ms. Gittes is a member of ...
Read Full Biography
- Prudential Financial, John Hancock Life Insurance Company, AXA Equitable, Guardian Life, Massachusetts Mutual and Teachers in the successful dismissal with prejudice of a qui tam complaint, brought under the New York False Claims Act, seeking over $14.5 billion in damages for alleged failures to escheat life insurance benefits to the state. The dismissal followed successful representations of each firm in a years-long investigation by the New York Attorney General (NYAG) into the escheatment practices of the life insurance industry, at the conclusion of which NYAG declined to pursue the claims itself.
- The Prudential Insurance Company of America in an ERISA class action regarding use of retained asset accounts.
- Winged Foot Golf Club, along with certain present and former members of the Board of Directors of the Winged Foot Holding Corporation, in shareholder derivative and securities class action lawsuits pending in the Southern District of New York.
- The Prudential Insurance Company of America in a policyholder class action regarding use of retained asset accounts in connection with service members group life insurance.
- Special Litigation Committee of SandRidge Energy’s Board of Directors in the investigation of allegations made in pending derivative lawsuits.
- Juan Sebastian Montes, a former executive of Petroleos de Venezuela, in litigation involving the Michael Kenwood Group.
- Prudential Financial in shareholder class action and derivative lawsuits arising from regulatory inquiries into death benefit payment practices and compliance with unclaimed property laws.
- A multinational bank in affirmative and defensive litigation arising out of a large hotel chain’s data breach.
- Kelso & Company in its $376 million acquisition, with Ajax Resources, of W&T Offshore’s interest in the Yellow Rose field in the Permian Basin of West Texas.
- John Hancock Life Insurance Company in defense against a putative class action brought before the United States District Court for the District of Massachusetts on behalf of owners and beneficiaries of its life insurance policies.
- Kellner DiLeo in successfully settling a class action alleging systemic failure to pay overtime after successfully obtaining dismissal of all state law claims.
- Large life insurance companies in state regulatory inquiries concerning abandoned property and claims handling, as well as in related qui tam lawsuits and a policyholder class action.
- An international insurance company in a joint investigation by the Department of Justice and the United States Attorney for the District of New Hampshire regarding the financing of life insurance premiums and related STOLI issues.
- Galderma Pharma in its agreement with Valeant Pharmaceuticals to restructure certain North American licensing arrangements in connection with Valeant's $2.6 billion acquisition of Galderma's long-time partner Medicis Pharmaceutical.
- EM Limited in obtaining payment in full of an $849 million judgment against the Republic of Argentina arising from Argentina’s default on its sovereign debt, recognized as the 2016 Global Dispute of the Year by The American Lawyer.
- The CFO of an insurance company in an investigation before the NYDFS.
- Harvard Law School, 2010, J.D.
- Middlebury College, 2004, B.A.