Berglind Halldorsdottir Birkland is a member of the International Dispute Resolution Group and is based in the New York office. Ms. Birkland represents ...
Read Full Biography
- The Republic of Iraq against claims brought by Orange S.A. in an ICSID arbitration under the France-Iraq BIT arising out of a dispute concerning the telecommunications sector.
- Tethyan Copper Company, a joint venture of Antofagasta Minerals and Barrick Gold, in its US$6 billion arbitration win against the Islamic Republic of Pakistan, which is the second-largest ICSID award ever rendered.
- Gramercy Funds Management and Gramercy Peru Holdings in winning a $100 million award in an UNCITRAL arbitration against the Republic of Peru relating to Peru’s agrarian reform bonds, which is the largest amount awarded against Peru in any treaty arbitration and the first decision finding Peru liable under the U.S.-Peru Trade Promotion Agreement.
- A publicly listed sporting goods company in a dispute arising out of a distribution agreement, winning dismissal of all claims for over €30 million in addition to an award of attorney’s fees.
- The International Court of Arbitration® of the International Chamber of Commerce as amicus curiae in support of Chevron Corporation’s opposition to the confirmation of an Egyptian arbitral award before the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California.
- New York University School of Law, 2009, J.D.
- University of Minnesota, 2006, B.A.