Personal Care/ Health/ Beauty
- Nestlé Skin Health in its $1 billion acquisition of Guthy Renker’s worldwide Proactiv business, the world’s leading non-prescription acne brand.
- One of the largest food, health and nutrition manufacturers in the world in connection with an investment in a healthcare product development company and commercial engine focused on skincare and other health, beauty and wellness categories.
- Clayton, Dubilier & Rice in its $415 million acquisition of High Ridge Brands, the largest North American consolidation platform focused on acquiring orphaned personal care brands, from Brynwood Partners.
- Two private equity firms in their $125 million investment in the world's second-largest razor blade manufacturer.
- Johnson & Johnson in its acquisition from AstraZeneca of the global rights outside of the U.S. to Rhinocort Aqua, a line of nasal sprays used to treat allergies.
- Johnson & Johnson in the sale of its worldwide intimate health business to Reckitt Benckiser, a UK-based consumer goods company.
- DLI Holding Corp, the parent of Del Laboratories, a Kelso & Company portfolio company, in its acquisition by Coty, a leading global beauty and fragrance company.
- High Ridge Brands, a leading personal care consumer products company and a portfolio company of Clayton, Dubilier & Rice, in the financing aspects of its acquisition of Dr. Fresh.
- Tambrands in defending several hundred toxic shock syndrome cases. In this capacity, we handled every aspect of the company’s cases throughout the country, as well as in Canada, the United Kingdom and Australia, including formulating national strategy; preparing cases for trial and trying the cases; selecting and preparing all company witnesses and expert witnesses; negotiating or supervising local counsel in negotiating all settlements and handling all related appellate work.
- Bayer, in obtaining a preliminary injunction against the illegal importation of foreign pet medicines into the United States.
- L’Oréal in false advertising litigation against Neutrogena related to the parties’ advertisements for their respective sun screen products.
Food and Beverage
- Pernod Ricard in its acquisition of the remaining stake in Avión Tequila.
- Ambev S.A. in the acquisition of a 30% interest in Cervecería Nacional Dominicana (CND), the leading beer company in the Caribbean, and the restructuring of its joint venture with E. León Jimenes, in a transaction valued at $926.5 million.
- Eagle Foods, a Kelso & Company portfolio company, in its acquisition of Popcorn, Indiana, a maker of ready-to-eat popcorn products.
- Helios Investment Partners in the formation of a joint-venture with GBfoods targeting the African fast moving consumer goods (FMCG) sector, creating one of Africa's largest FMCG groups, operating in 30 African countries, including leadership positions in Nigeria and Ghana.
- Pernod Ricard in its $600 million bond issue due 2026.
- Kelso & Company in its acquisition of the J.M. Smucker Company’s U.S. canned milk brands and operations.
- Pernod Ricard in its €500 million offering of 1.875% notes due 2023.
- Alibaba in the joint venture of its AliExpress business in Russia with the Russian Direct Investment Fund, MegaFon and Mail.ru, aimed at integrating Russia’s key consumer internet and e-commerce platforms.
- J.P. Morgan Securities, as financial advisor to Walmart, in its $3.3 billion acquisition of Jet.com.
- Helios Investment Partners in its investment in MallforAfrica, a Nigerian e-commerce company.
- The Marandi family in its acquisition of The Conran Shop.
- The Marandi family in its acquisition of ASHS Limited, the company operating under the Anya Hindmarch brand, from Mayhoola for Investments.
- Yves Saint Laurent in defeating a motion for a preliminary injunction by Christian Louboutin over YSL’s red-soled shoes, and subsequently obtaining dismissal of all claims by the Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit.
- Prada in defending against copyright infringement claims brought by a textile manufacturer in federal court in the Central District of California.
- A leading high fashion luxury goods company advising on its defense of an employment discrimination and retaliation lawsuit brought by a former employee.
- Louis Vuitton in successfully resolving litigation involving infringement of its trademark Epi design.
- Clayton, Dubilier & Rice in its acquisition of a significant stake in one of the largest UK retailers.
- Clayton, Dubilier & Rice in its acquisition of a significant stake in B&M Retail.
- B&M in its £250 million bond offering of 4.125% senior secured notes due 2022, and its related refinancing of certain of its existing senior credit facilities.
- Clayton, Dubilier & Rice in the financing and certain other aspects of its acquisition of BUT, the largest furniture retailer network in France, in a 50:50 partnership with WM Holding, a company related to the XXXLutz Group.
- Clayton, Dubilier & Rice in the sale of an approximately 12% stake in B&M for £408 million.
- David's Bridal, a portfolio company of Clayton, Dubilier & Rice, in its $270 million offering of 7.75% senior notes due 2020.
- Sears Holding Corporation in its sale of up to 23.1 million shares of common stock of Sears Hometown and Outlet stores.
- Bain Capital, The Carlyle Group and Clayton, Dubilier & Rice in their $8.5 billion acquisition of HD Supply from The Home Depot.
- Capital Group and AIG Capital Partners, owners with Cencosud of Jumbo Argentina, in Jumbo Argentina’s $315 million acquisition with the International Finance Corporation of the Disco unit of Royal Ahold.
- Internal investigation for the Audit Committee of Office Depot relating to accounting and disclosure issues.
- Office Depot's special review committee in matters relating to shareholder derivative actions.
Other Consumer Goods and Services
- Independent Committee of the Board of Directors of Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia in its $365 million sale to Sequential Brands.
- New York-Based Hedge Fund in its distressed investment in, and ultimate control acquisition of, an American clothing manufacturer and distributor.
- Dealer Tire in its sale of the assets of Dealer Tire Canada to Groupe Touchette.
- Hertz in its $2.5 billion spin-off of its equipment and rental business.
- Morgan Stanley, as financial advisor to World Kitchen, a leading multinational manufacturer and marketer of houseware products, in its $566 million sale to GP Investments Acquisition Corp.
- A consumer products company in an ad hoc arbitration in Paris involving a dispute between joint venture partners about the existence of an obligation to contribute individually acquired products to the joint venture for marketing.
- A major consumer electronics company with respect to allegations that its external storage devices created security risks on personal computers.
- HarbourVest Partners in a newly established fund managed by Nova Capital with equity provided by Nova Capital’s limited partners, including Nova, and secondary funds managed by HarbourVest Partners and Landmark Partners, which fund was established to acquire a portfolio of businesses within Newell Rubbermaid’s Hardware group in North America for $214 million.
- Oriental Trading Company in its sale to Berkshire Hathaway.
- The Carlyle Group in its $1 billion acquisition of Oriental Trading Company from Brentwood Associates.
- Hasbro in its reacquisition of video game rights from Infogrames Entertainment and related licensing of Dungeons and Dragons, Monopoly and certain other properties.
- The Gitano Group, a major apparel company, in its out-of-court restructuring and subsequent section 363 sale of substantially all of its assets to Fruit of the Loom