Ranked #1 Insurance M&A by deal volume from 2013-2017 – S&P Global
Insurance M&A is consistently the largest component of Debevoise’s Global Insurance Practice. The firm is widely recognized as a market leader in insurance M&A and is consistently called on for the industry’s most challenging, innovative and high-profile transactions.
Our insurance M&A lawyers understand the perspectives of the full range of market participants, from traditional insurers and reinsurers to financial sponsors and intermediaries. The firm regularly acts on cross-border transactions and can execute local country and multijurisdictional acquisitions anywhere in the world. Recent M&A transactions include:
- a hostile acquisition of a Bermuda reinsurer by a European investment company;
- the first entry by a U.S. insurance company into a pan-African platform;
- the first spin-off and separation of an insurance business from a Brazilian bank;
- an acquisition by a non-U.S. pension fund of a Lloyd’s syndicate;
- non-U.S. buyers acquiring large U.S. businesses in the life insurance and annuity sectors; and
- equity cornerstone investments in PRC companies.
With the support of more than 80 corporate, regulatory, restructuring, tax, litigation and executive compensation partners and counsel dedicated to the industry, the M&A team brings to its work an unsurpassed depth of knowledge of industry issues, deal technology and regulatory sensitivities.