The Debevoise Global Insurance Practice has long been distinguished by insurance regulatory capabilities of the highest quality.
The firm advises clients on the regulatory aspects of their most important transactions and counsels boards of directors and senior management on the regulatory developments that most significantly affect their businesses, including:
- regulatory inquiries and examinations;
- change of control applications and other regulatory aspects of insurance M&A transactions;
- reserve financings and the regulation of captive reinsurers;
- the changing landscape of insurance regulation in the U.S., at the federal and international level, including developments at the NAIC, the Federal Reserve and the IAIS and under Solvency II;
- resolution planning;
- insurance company restructurings and insolvency proceedings;
- reinsurance transactions;
- formation, capitalization and reorganization of insurers and reinsurers;
- insurance holding company regulation;
- investments by insurers; and
- regulatory authorization for the deployment of new technology.
The practice’s regulatory capabilities are closely intertwined with deal work, litigation and corporate counseling. As a result, our transactional lawyers bring a fluency in the relevant regulatory constraints to the structuring of deals, and litigators work closely with transactional lawyers to evaluate potential risks in a transaction. The firm has particular experience in New York Insurance Law and in matters before the New York State Department of Financial Services.