Carl Riehl is a counsel in the firm’s Litigation Department and its Commercial Litigation, International Dispute Resolution and Intellectual Property ...
Read Full Biography
- Tethyan Copper Company in its US$6 billion arbitration win against the Islamic Republic of Pakistan, which is the second-largest ICSID award ever rendered.
- Bulyanhulu Gold Mine Limited and Pangea Minerals Limited, subsidiaries of Acacia Mining plc, in a mining arbitration against the Government of the United Republic of Tanzania seated in London under the UNCITRAL Rules.
- Gramercy Funds Management and Gramercy Peru Holdings in an UNCITRAL arbitration against the Government of Peru under the U.S.-Peru Trade Promotion Agreement, arising out of Peru’s measures relating to Agrarian Reform Bonds.
- Galderma in successfully defending against multijurisdictional patent infringement claims involving its cancer drug Metvix.
- Central European Media Enterprises (CME) in an arbitration against the Czech Republic brought under The Netherlands-Czech BIT and the UNCITRAL Rules, asserting claims that the Czech Media Council’s actions had deprived CME of its interest in the most successful commercial television station in Eastern Europe. The Tribunal issued an award of over $350 million, which the Czech Republic satisfied.
- A publicly listed sporting goods company in a dispute arising out of a distribution agreement, winning dismissal of all claims for over €30 million in addition to an award of attorney’s fees.
- A major shopping center company in defending against breach of contract and fiduciary duty claims for over $2 billion arising from its purchase of another shopping center partnership.
- One of the largest manufacturers of personal computers in defending numerous consumer fraud class actions relating to claimed performance defects.
- A cellular phone geolocation company, a maker of food preservation devices and a consortium of lenders to an airport development project in successful litigations and mediations of patent disputes.
- Independent trustees of a major mutual fund company in defending litigations challenging the fees paid to the funds’ advisor.
- Tilia in patent arbitration and ITC proceedings against Applica over its knock-off versions of the FoodSaver machines, sold under the Black & Decker brand.
- Yale Law School, 1995, J.D.
- Oberlin College, 1990, B. Mus.
- Oberlin College, 1990, B.A.