Christopher Tahbaz, a litigator and arbitrator with a broad range of U.S. and international experience, currently serves as Debevoise’s Co-Chair ...
Read Full Biography
- Macau-based Sanum Investments and Netherlands-based Lao Holdings, NV in bilateral investment treaty arbitration claims against the Government of Laos.
- A major U.S. financial services company in an ICC arbitration seated in Hong Kong, in a dispute worth over $500 million concerning a significant corporate transaction.
- A Cayman-Islands-based creditor in an ICC arbitration arising out of a borrower’s default on restructured loan obligations incurred by owners of a Latin American food and beverage group.
- A Southeast Asian bank in a post-acquisition dispute, under which the governing agreement was subject to arbitration in the Singapore International Arbitration Centre.
- Hyundai Heavy Industries in winning one of the largest ICC arbitration awards ever, worth approximately $750 million in a dispute involving shareholders rights and governance decisions in a Korean oil refinary company jointly owned by claimants and respondents. This victory was named the 2010 Arbitration Win of the Year by the Global Arbitration Review.
- Pre-arbitration advice and claims analyses to Asia-based clients operating in the aerospace, telecom and oil and gas sectors.
- U.S.-based clients in defense of a Section 1782 discovery request in U.S. federal court, in litigation and in arbitration proceedings pending outside the U.S. The proceeding ended with an order denying the request as it related to the foreign arbitration, and a stay of the request as it related to the foreign litigation.
- An Asian steel manufacturer in winning a complete victory in an ICC arbitration, in which claimants sought damages in excess of U.S. $400 million for contract and tort claims arising from a failed M&A transaction.
- Defending a hedge fund manager in AAA/ICDR arbitration, in which claimants sought damages related to the operation of a joint venture formed to market hedge funds in Asia. The representation ended in a favorable settlement for our client.
- Forest Laboratories and Forest Pharmaceuticals in the settlement of civil and criminal investigations led by the United States Department of Justice and the United States Attorney’s Office for the District of Massachusetts, and related civil qui tam litigation, regarding marketing, promotional and other activities for its products Celexa, Lexapro and Levothroid.
- A group of investment funds, defeating a request for a temporary restraining order and preliminary injunction (and later obtaining complete dismissal of the underlying action) that, if granted, would have restricted our clients’ ability to transfer their investment in a Central Asian oil and gas venture.
- Columbia University, 1986, B.A.
- Columbia Law School, 1990, J.D.