Colby Smith is a litigator based in the firm’s Washington, D.C office.
Mr. Smith joined Debevoise in 1988, became a partner in 1996, and retired, ...
Read Full Biography
Securities Class Actions, Derivative Cases, Sec/Regulatory Inquiries and Related Matters
- Léo Apotheker, former CEO of Hewlett-Packard Company, in securities class actions, derivative litigation and regulatory inquiries arising from HP’s acquisition of Autonomy.
- Kenneth D. Lewis, former Chairman and CEO of Bank of America Corp., in shareholder, derivative and other litigation that arose out of Bank of America’s acquisition of Merrill Lynch during the 2008 financial crisis.
- A large integrated agricultural commodities company in responding to a Section 220 demand under Delaware Corporate law.
- Mechel, a Russian mining and metals conglomerate, in winning dismissal of securities fraud claims in the Southern District of New York brought after senior Russian officials made negative comments about the company and levied an antitrust fine for alleged price discrimination.
- Yukos Oil Company and its officers in winning dismissal of securities fraud claims in the Southern District of New York related to Russian tax enforcement proceedings against the company and the Russian government’s subsequent nationalization of its oil-producing assets.
- Interstate Bakeries Corporation and three of its former officers and directors in securities class action and derivative litigation in the Western District of Kansas arising out allegations that the value of IBC shares declined as a result of its failure to meet earnings guidance.
- Global Crossing and more than 30 of its current or former officers, directors and employees in SEC enforcement proceedings and Congressional investigations, and in securities class action litigation, ERISA class action litigation and other commercial litigation in the Southern District of New York, all arising out of Global Crossing’s bankruptcy filing.
Internal Corporate Investigations and Related Matters
- The Audit Committee of Mobile Telesystems, a Russian telecommunications company, in its internal investigation relating to its Uzbek subsidiary, referenced as part of the Deferred Prosecution Agreement with the U.S. Department of Justice.
- A large U.S. food products company in a review of anti-corruption compliance issues at an overseas subsidiary.
- The Audit Committee of a U.S. public company in the pharmaceutical industry in China in a review under the FCPA.
- The Audit Committee of an Indian manufacturing company in a review of anti-corruption compliance issues.
- A large private equity firm in an FCPA compliance review of its portfolio companies and related compliance programs.
- Siemens’ Audit Committee in a worldwide investigation into possible corrupt payments to government officials leading to an early settlement with the U.S. and German authorities.
- The independent directors of a large publicly traded retailer in a review of stock-option issues, including the dating of options, related financial reporting matters and pending governmental investigations and private shareholder derivative lawsuits.
- The Audit Committee of a large public company in the healthcare industry in an internal review of whistleblower allegations of possible manipulation of bad debt reserves.
- Columbia Law School, 1987, J.D.
- Columbia University, 1984, M.A.
- University of Utah, 1980, B.S.