Helen V. Cantwell is a litigation partner with extensive trial experience. Her practice focuses on white collar criminal defense, regulatory enforcement ...
Read Full Biography
White Collar & Regulatory
- Toyota Motor Sales USA in various state and federal investigations relating to vehicle acceleration issues. These included 29 state attorney general investigations, congressional inquiries, SEC investigations, and Department of Justice (DOJ) investigations, all of which settled without any criminal convictions for the company.
- A leading fintech company in multiple matters, including the successful resolution of an anti-money laundering investigation by the DOJ.
- A top national bank in an investigation into allegations of money laundering.
- A leading national bank in an investigation by the DOJ into mortgage-related matters.
- An individual in connection with an insider trading investigation.
- A global insurer in inquiries conducted by the NY Department of Financial Services and NY Attorney General relating to alleged unlicensed sales of life insurance in New York.
- A leading consulting firm in allegations investigated by the DOJ, which resulted in the exoneration of the firm.
- Various bank executives in investigations related to LIBOR and other potential securities fraud by the SEC, CFTC and DOJ.
- The Chief Risk Officer of a hedge fund in civil litigation and investigations relating to the Bernard L. Madoff matter.
- Private equity clients in governmental investigations and litigations relating to fallout from the financial crisis and the collapse of MF Global.
- Ongoing compliance advice to clients regarding the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, various banking regulators, and anti-money laundering.
- Current and former corporate executives in DOJ, SEC and CFTC investigations involving allegations of securities fraud, theft of trade secrets and other matters.
- The Board of Directors of CBS Corporation in an investigation of sexual harassment allegations against the CEO, senior CBS News personnel, as well as allegations about the corporate culture.
- The Board of the Cleveland Orchestra in an independent investigation of allegations of sexual misconduct by two musicians.
- Syracuse University in responding to inquiries by various law enforcement authorities which arose as a result of allegations of sexual abuse made against former Associate Head Coach of the University’s men’s basketball team. We are also representing the University in a defamation case that was filed against the University and its head basketball coach, the dismissal of which was affirmed by New York's intermediate appellate court and is now before the New York Court of Appeals.
- The National Football League in an investigation into allegation of workplace misconduct involving a team owner.
- Save the Children, an international NGO, in an investigation of alleged improper conduct by a past employee.
- Multiple secondary schools in such investigations, including The Ramaz School, The Potomac School, and The Laurel School, among others.
Civil & Trial
- A leading international life insurance company in successful settlement of securities litigation arising from its demutualization.
- Metromedia International Group in a trial in Delaware Chancery Court (In re Appraisal of Metromedia).
- Syracuse University in a defamation action brought in New York state court by former ball boys for the University’s basketball team.
- Harvard Law School, 1995, J.D.
- Wellesley College, 1992, B.A.