John Missing, now an of counsel, was a litigation partner in the firm’s London office whose practice focused on internal investigations that often ...
Read Full Biography
- Mobile TeleSystems in its investor-state arbitration against Uzbekistan brought under the Additional Facility of the International Centre for the Settlement of Investment Disputes (ICSID), including successfully defending an Article 45(6) application.
- A leading natural resources group in its criminal investigation by the SFO into allegations of fraud, bribery and corruption relating to the activities of the company or its subsidiaries in Kazakhstan and Africa.
- A major automotive corporation as claimant in consolidated ICC London arbitration proceedings against Volkswagen in respect of a dispute involving a multibillion euro cross-shareholding and arising out of a commercial alliance formalised in December 2009.
- Nambaryn Enkhbayer, the former President of Mongolia, in defence of corruption charges brought against him by the current Government of Mongolia. We advised on strategy concerning domestic legal proceedings and liaised with press and lobbying NGOs and foreign governments to bring attention to and explain the various abuses of the former president’s human rights that occurred during these proceedings.
- A foreign investor in a CIS country in claims for expropriation.
- An international financial institution in investigations by Central European and Channel Islands authorities and litigation in the UK.
- EM Limited in obtaining payment in full of an $849 million judgment against the Republic of Argentina arising from Argentina’s default on its sovereign debt, recognized as the 2016 Global Dispute of the Year by The American Lawyer.
- A Russian subsidiary of a U.S. energy company in an internal investigation.
- A former leader of an Asian country accused of criminal misconduct.
- Siemens’ Audit Committee in a worldwide investigation into possible corrupt payments to government officials leading to an early settlement with the U.S. and German authorities.
- A major private equity firm and individuals in a confidential investigation conducted by the SEC.
- A professional gatekeeper in a confidential investigation conducted by the SEC.
- Internal investigations and FCPA compliance advice to a major multinational U.S. research-based pharmaceutical manufacturer. We also conducted internal investigations for the Audit Committee and senior management into a number of accounting reserves issues.
- A specially-constituted board committee of a brokerage company in an internal investigation into the marketing and sale of auction rate securities.
- An officer of a Korean manufacturer in an investigation between the U.S. Department of Justice, and in parallel court civil litigation, involving trade secrets.
- A former officer of a subsidiary of major oil company in an investigation conducted by the U.S. Commodities Futures Trading Commission.
- A confidential investigation in China of a medical device manufacturer in a foreign corrupt practices investigation conducted by the U.S. Department of Justice and the SEC.
- The audit committee of Just for Feet in multiple class and other actions arising out of the failure of a major athletic shoe retailer.
- The audit committee of Belgian company Lernout & Hauspie Speech Products in multiple class and other federal court actions arising out of the failure of this speech technology company.
- Directors and officers of Cablevision in a derivative lawsuit related to executive and board compensation.
- The company and/or officers and directors in litigation involving the following companies: Take-Two Interactive Software, Monster Worldwide, Schering-Plough, Marsh & McLennan Companies, L90, Safety-Kleen, Brooktree Corporation, Cerplex Group, ECI Telecom Ltd., Encad, E.spire Communications, ErgoBilt, Global Crossing Ltd., Information Analysis, Insurance Auto Actions, Mobilemedia, Navellier, Omnitrition International, Pairgain Technologies, P-Com, POWERCERv, Ravisent Technologies, Inc., Smith Micro Software, Valence Technology, V-One Corporation and World Fuel Services Corporation.
- Cornell Law School, 1982, J.D.
- Cornell University, 1979, A.B.