Jonathan F. Lewis is the Chair of the firm’s Employee Benefits & Executive Compensation Group in New York. His practice encompasses all aspects of executive compensation and the deployment of human capital. The scope of his practice includes:
- Public and private mergers and acquisitions, with an emphasis on the special issues raised in the private equity, healthcare and insurance sectors.
- The design and operation of compensation plans and programs for both public and private companies, including related tax, accounting, governance and disclosure concerns.
- The investment of the assets of ERISA pension plans in funds and separately managed vehicles, with significant experience of these issues in the private equity, insurance and real estate sectors.
- Counselling public and private companies on sensitive matters relating to senior executives and their compensation, including hirings, departures and compensatory arrangements. For a summary of the considerations raised by these matters, please click here.
- Representation of individual executives and management teams.
Mr. Lewis is recognized by Chambers USA (2021) as a leader in Employee Benefits & Executive Compensation. Clients say that he is “very smart, thoughtful and commercial.” He has also been described as “an outstanding lawyer,” and “a superstar” with “incredible knowledge of a complex field, he is very practical and gives advice that is appreciated from a client’s perspective.” The Legal 500 US (2021) also recommends Mr. Lewis, where clients have praised his “creative and practical approach.”
Mr. Lewis is a frequent writer on legal developments regarding employee benefits and executive compensation. He is the author of “Private Equity and Hedge Fund Arrangements,” a chapter in Section 409A Handbook (BNA Books, 2d ed. 2016; 3rd ed. forthcoming); and author or co-author of the Russian chapter of “Executive Compensation & Employee Benefits,” Getting The Deal Through, (July, 2015); and “Counting To 80,” Private Equity Manager (August, 2013). Mr. Lewis is also a frequent speaker at seminars and conferences, including Practicing Law Institute’s “Cool Compensation Considerations for the Private Company” (2017-2021).
Mr. Lewis received his B.A. from Harvard College in 1990 and his J.D. with high honors from The George Washington University Law School in 1994, where he was editor-in-chief of The George Washington Law Review. Mr. Lewis served as a law clerk to the Hon. Stewart Dalzell in the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania from 1994 to 1996.