Dual-qualified in England and the United States, Kate Ashton is a leader of the firm’s Alternative Assets Transactions and Liquidity Solutions Group. ...
Read Full Biography
Complex Secondary Investments
- HarbourVest Partners as lead investor in Secondary Fund II, a €350 million continuation vehicle sponsored by Portobello Capital, involving stakes in two Portobello-managed portfolio companies.
- Goldman Sachs Asset Management and Pantheon as co-underwriters of CapVest Strategic Opportunities, a €1.2 billion continuation vehicle sponsored by CapVest for the single-asset fund restructuring of its portfolio company, Curium Pharma.
- Ardian and Pantheon as co-lead investors in a €1.2 billion annex fund, sponsored by Antin Infrastructure Partners, to buy minority stakes in four assets held by Antin’s 2016-vintage Fund III.
- Pantheon and LGT Capital Partners as lead investors in a continuation vehicle sponsored by Medicxi, a European life sciences investor, involving six preclinical- and clinical-stage assets.
- Link Fund Solutions as authorised corporate director of the LF Equity Income Fund in the £224 million sale of shares in 19 public and private life sciences companies to Acacia Research Corporation by the LF Equity Income Fund.
- AlpInvest Partners, Goldman Sachs Asset Management and HarbourVest Partners as lead investors in the PAI Partners-sponsored €2 billion continuation vehicle for Froneri and Marcolin, two portfolio companies previously held in PAI Fund V. The transaction was named “GP-Led Deal of the Year in Europe” by Secondaries Investor in its annual awards.
- HarbourVest Partners and Pantheon as investors in 3i’s GP-led single asset fund restructuring, one of the largest-ever such transactions which involved moving Action, with a post-discount enterprise value of €10.25 billion, to a continuation vehicle.
- A U.S. secondaries investor in a fund-level preferred equity transaction with a European technology-focused private equity fund.
- A consortium of international secondaries fund sponsors led by Pantheon and Aberdeen Standard in a fund recapitalization involving the single-asset transfer of KD Pharma Group, a German vitamin supplement manufacturer, and related investment transaction.
- HarbourVest Partners as lead investor in the GP-led restructuring of Bridgepoint Capital’s €4.8 billion crisis-era fund, Bridgepoint Europe IV.
- HarbourVest Partners in its secondary acquisition of a majority interest in Digital Prosperity Fund I and an associated co-investment vehicle, both managed by Amadeus Capital Partners, from MTN Group.
- A U.S. private equity fund in a complex GP fund restructuring involving the establishment of a new fund to acquire assets.
- HarbourVest Partners in its £806.6 million acquisition of the investment portfolio of SVG Capital, a publicly listed investment fund. The acquisition followed an initial £1,015 million takeover offer by HarbourVest Partners for SVG Capital. The deal has been recognized by various industry award schemes, including the PEI Awards and being named Private Equity Deal Of The Year at the IFLR European Awards.
- HarbourVest Partners in its €360 million acquisition, through a fund managed by Compass Partners International, of five portfolio companies from Bridgepoint Capital.
- HarbourVest Partners in the €400 million secondary acquisition, through a newly-formed fund managed by Portobello Capital, of the private equity portfolio of Portobello Capital II LP, as part of a fund restructuring.
- HarbourVest Partners, Neuberger Berman, HQ Capital and Idinvest Partners in the secondary acquisition of limited partnership interests and a related stapled investment in funds managed by Mandarin Capital Partners.
- HarbourVest Partners in its €190 million secondary acquisition of interests in Magnum Capital from existing investors in a structured tender, together with a stapled primary investment.
- HarbourVest Partners in its €333 million purchase of the majority of interests in Motion Equity Partners II, as part of a tail-end solution for that fund.
- HarbourVest Partners in the secondary acquisition of limited partnership interests in Doughty Hanson & Co Limited Partnerships IV and V, and proposed commitment to Doughty Hanson & Co Limited Partnerships VI, in a stapled transaction.
- HarbourVest Partners in its role in the £1.2 billion take-private acquisition of UK insurer esure.
- A U.S. private equity fund in co-investments in various jurisdictions, including France, Sweden, Denmark, Spain and Poland.
- HarbourVest Partners as a selling shareholder, together with Exponent, in the purchase of Trainline by KKR.
- HarbourVest Partners in its co-investment with IK Investment Partners in the Salad Signature group, a Dutch and Belgian food business.
- HarbourVest Partners as co-investor in the 2012 take-private of Omega Pharma, and its subsequent sale in 2014 to Perrigo Company for €3.6 billion.
LP Interest Transactions
- A leading secondaries fund sponsor in its acquisition of a portfolio of venture capital and private equity interests from a major European private equity manager.
- HarbourVest Partners in its acquisition of stakes in MML Capital Partners Funds V and VI from Varma Mutual Fund Pension Insurance Company.
- HarbourVest Partners in its secondary acquisition of limited partnership interests from multiple sellers in funds managed by Indigo Capital Partners.
- HarbourVest Partners in its $806 million acquisition of Absolute Private Equity, a Swiss publicly listed investment fund.
- HarbourVest Partners in its $1.4 billion acquisition of the private equity fund interests and direct co-investments of Conversus Capital.
- A sovereign wealth fund in its sale of interests in several dozen private investment funds.
Other Corporate Transactions
- Temasek in its strategic investment in BluJay Solutions, a leading provider of supply chain software and services.
- Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec in its investment in Datamars.
- HarbourVest Partners in the admission of HarbourVest Global Private Equity to the main market of the London Stock Exchange.
- Oaktree Capital Management in the finance aspects of its restructuring of its investment in Viken, a distressed Norwegian shipping group.
- Renaissance Capital and Atlas Capital (a spin-out from GLG Partners) in their complex debt investment in a distressed Kazakh company and related U.S. and other litigation.
- Harvard Law School, J.D.
- Harvard University, A.B.