Marilyn A. Lion, based in the firm's New York office, is a member of the Corporate Department and the Financial Institutions Group. She focuses on ...
Read Full Biography
Insurance and Insurance Related M&A
- Constellation, backed by institutional investors Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec and Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan Board, in its $1 billion acquisition of Ohio National, as part of Ohio National’s demutualization process.
- Aquarian in its acquisition of Pavonia Life Insurance Company of New York from a wholly-owned U.S. subsidiary of Enstar Group Limited.
- MassMutual in its $3.5 billion acquisition of Great American Life, a wholly owned subsidiary of American Financial Group.
- Entities managed by Blackstone Group in the $2.8 billion acquisition of Allstate Life Insurance Company.
- Unum Group in its agreement to reinsure a substantial portion of its Closed Individual Disability Insurance Block business to a subsidiary of Global Atlantic.
- Prudential plc and Jackson National in the reinsurance to Athene of $27.6 billion of Jackson’s in-force fixed and fixed index annuities and a $500 million equity investment in Jackson’s holding company.
- AXA Equitable Holdings in its agreement to sell U.S. Financial Life Insurance Company & MONY Life Insurance Company of the Americas.
- New York Life in its $6.3 billion acquisition of Cigna’s Group Life and Disability Insurance business.
- Blackstone’s Tactical Opportunities Group in its strategic minority investment in Annexus, a leading designer of annuities and insurance-based retirement products.
- Wilton Re in its agreements to reinsure legacy comprehensive and nursing home long-term care insurance policies from Bankers Life and Casualty.
- AXA and AXA Equitable Holdings on the initial public offering of AXA Equitable Holdings on the New York Stock Exchange for approximately $4 billion, and AXA Equitable Holdings in its offering and sale of $3.8 billion of senior notes.
- AmTrust Financial Services in a strategic transaction with Madison Dearborn for a portion of AmTrust’s U.S. fee businesses valued at $1.15 billion.
- A major life insurer in a purchase price adjustment dispute.
- Wilton Re in its acquisition of Aegon Transamerica’s two largest U.S. run-off businesses.
- Protective Life in its acquisition by reinsurance of certain in-force blocks of term life insurance from Genworth Life and Annuity Insurance Company.
- Morgan Stanley, as financial advisor to Symetra Financial Corp, in the $3.8 billion sale of Symetra Financial Corp to Sumitomo Life.
- Stone Point Capital in its significant equity investment in specialty insurance broker Alliant Insurance Services, with KKR retaining a significant equity investment in the business.
- Morgan Stanley, as financial advisor to Pan-American Life Mutual Holding Company, in Pan-American Life Mutual Holding Company's merger with Mutual Trust Holding Company.
- Morgan Stanley, as financial advisor to Endurance Specialty Holdings Ltd, in Endurance Specialty Holdings Ltd's $1.83 billion acquisition of Montpelier Re Holdings Ltd.
- Protective Life in its $5.7 billion merger with a subsidiary of Dai-ichi Life, a life insurance company listed on the Tokyo stock exchange.
- Blackstone Group’s Tactical Opportunities Group in the acquisition of Philadelphia Financial Group from Tiptree Financial.
- AXA Financial in the $1.06 billion sale of MONY Life Insurance Company and reinsurance of an in-force book of life insurance policies to Protective Life Insurance Company.
- Prudential Financial in its acquisition of The Hartford’s Individual Life Insurance business.
- Protective Life Insurance Company in its $628.1 million acquisition, together with Athene Holding Ltd., of Liberty Life Insurance Company, the U.S. life insurance and annuity business of Royal Bank of Canada.
- Cunningham Lindsey in its recapitalization by CVC Capital Partners.
- Hannover Re in its acquisition of ING individual life reinsurance business from Scottish Re and a $500 million XXX financing.
- Strongwood Insurance in its acquisition of Northeast Agencies, a leading aggregator of commercial and personal lines for insurance agencies.
- Stone Point Capital and Hellman & Friedman in obtaining EU merger control approval for their $1.1 billion acquisition of Sedgwick Claims Management Services, the leading global provider of technology-enabled claims and productivity management solutions.
- Enstar in its $1.2 billion merger with Castlewood.
Reinsurance and Insurance Related Financings
- Protective Life Insurance Company in numerous reserve financing facilities.
- Pacific Life Insurance Company in numerous reserve financing facilities.
- Assured Guaranty in a $435 million excess-of-loss reinsurance facility designed to address Standard & Poor's revised capital calculations and the subsequent renewal of the facility. (Terminated)
- An insurance company in a $3.5 billion 30 year letter of credit facility to finance XXX and AXXX reserves.
- Golden Gate II Captive Insurance, a special purpose financial captive insurance subsidiary of Protective Life Insurance Company in its issuance of floating rate surplus notes to fund AXXX
- Harvard Law School, 2005, J.D.
- University of Pennsylvania, 2001, B.A.