Michael Blair is the firm’s Presiding Partner. Mr. Blair has served as lead counsel in a host of major M&A transactions, advised senior executives ...
Read Full Biography
- The supervisory board of ABN Amro in its €72 billion combination with a consortium led by Royal Bank of Scotland (the IFLR 2008 Europe Awards named this transaction “M&A Deal of the Year”), and the $21 billion sale of its LaSalle Bank subsidiary to Bank of America.
- Phelps Dodge in obtaining merger control approval in the EU, and various other jurisdictions globally, in respect of in its $26 billion merger with Freeport-McMoRan Copper & Gold, forming the world’s largest publicly traded copper company.
- Phelps Dodge in its $40 billion agreement to combine with Canadian mining companies Inco and Falconbridge (later terminated).
- AXA Financial in the sale of its 70% interest in Donaldson, Lufkin & Jenrette to Credit Suisse as part of an $11.5 billion transaction.
- Justice Gary S. Stein, as trustee and conservator of the Tropicana Atlantic City, in the Chapter 11 bankruptcy proceeding of Tropicana Entertainment LLC and the sale of the Atlantic City casino.
- AXA Financial in the $9.2 billion sale of the remaining 40% in AXA Financial to AXA S.A. that AXA S.A. did not already own.
- The special committee of Tower Group’s board of directors in Tower’s $530 million acquisition of CastlePoint Holdings.
- The Special Committee of the Board of Highbury Financial in the sale of Highbury to Affiliated Managers Group. (2009)
- Phelps Dodge in its simultaneous unsolicited exchange offers for Cyprus Amax Minerals Company and Asarco in what is believed to be the only such "double-hostile" transaction ever attempted, and its ultimate $1.8 billion acquisition of Cyprus Amax.
- U.S. Life in its $1.8 billion merger with American General.
- Phelps Dodge in its $600 million sale of Columbian Chemical Company to One Equity Partners, an affiliate of JP Morgan Chase, and DC Chemical, a South Korean chemical company.
- Thames Water in its $923 million acquisition of E'Town Corporation.
- Protective Life in its $316 million acquisition of United Investors Life Insurance Company from Liberty National Life Insurance Company.
- AXA Financial in its $1.5 billion acquisition of The MONY Group.
- University of Chicago Law School, 1981, J.D.
- Yale University, 1977, B.A.