Michael Schaper is a litigation partner who focuses on various types of complex civil litigation, including in numerous areas of intellectual property ...
Read Full Biography
- Pernod Ricard in its acquisition of a majority stake in Código 1530 Ultra Premium and Prestige Tequila.
- Arcesium in a trade secret and breach of contract litigation dispute brought by SS&C Technologies Holdings, Inc. and its affiliate Advent Software.
- Fox Corporation in successfully defeating a preliminary injunction motion in a trademark and false advertising lawsuit brought by the owners of the 1980s United States Football League against the league and team names of the new USFL.
- S&S Activewear, a leading American imprintable apparel wholesale company and Clayton, Dubilier & Rice portfolio company, in its acquisition of TSF Sportswear, a multi-line wholesaler.
- Tether, Bitfinex and related entities in a putative class action relating to the sufficiency of reserves for Tether tokens.
- Tether, Bitfinex and related entities in a putative class action asserting Commodities Exchange Act, antitrust and fraud claims based on alleged manipulation of the price of cryptocommodities.
- Carlyle in its strategic partnership with Orsini, an independent specialty pharmacy focused on rare diseases, gene therapies and complex conditions.
- Solenis, a leading global producer of specialty chemicals, in its acquisition of German chemical producer SCL.
- Carestream Dental, a Clayton, Dubilier & Rice portfolio company and leading provider of dental technology, in the $600 million carve-out sale of its Scanning Technology business to Envista, a leading global dental products company.
- S&S Activewear, a leading American imprintable apparel wholesale company and Clayton, Dubilier & Rice portfolio company, in its acquisition of TSC Apparel, a leading national distributor of blank apparel and accessories.
- A major investor in Envigo, a pharmaceutical and biotechnology research provider, in the sale of Envigo to Inotiv, a drug discovery and development contract research organization, for a total transaction value of approximately $545 million.
- Pactiv Evergreen in its $380 million acquisition of Fabri-Kal, a U.S. manufacturer of foodservice and custom thermoformed plastic packaging solutions.
- Carlyle, as majority owner of Syniverse, in Syniverse’s $2.85 billion merger with special purpose acquisition company M3-Brigade Acquisition II Corp. resulting in Syniverse becoming a publicly traded company.
- Clayton, Dubilier & Rice and Solenis in the sale of Solenis to Platinum Equity at an implied enterprise value of $5.25 billion.
- Resolution Life, a global life insurance group focusing on the acquisition and management of portfolios of life insurance policies, in a seven day bench trial resulting in an award of $75 million in damages and pre-judgment interest. The case stemmed from an attempted 2017 transaction in which Resolution Life sought to sell its Nebraska-based life insurance company, Lincoln Benefit Life, to Global Bankers Insurance Group.
- Cornerstone Building Brands in the sale of its Insulated Metal Panels business to Nucor for $1 billion in cash.
- Carlyle, as majority owner of Syniverse, in Twilio’s $750 million investment in Syniverse.
- GoDaddy in its acquisition of Neustar’s Registry business, a registry technology platform that includes an extensive portfolio of top-level domains.
- Peabody Energy Corp., a leading coal producer, in the FTC’s challenge to its joint venture with Arch Resources, Inc.
- BMO Harris Bank in a bankruptcy adversary proceeding arising out of a multibillion dollar Ponzi scheme operated by Thomas J. Petters.
- Toyota in In re Rail Freight Fuel Surcharge Antitrust Litigation (No. II).
- Learning Annex in obtaining a $23 million judgment after a jury trial of quasi-contract claims in the Southern District of New York.
- Bayer in obtaining a preliminary injunction against a TV ad that falsely claimed that Sentry Fiproguard Max prevents fleas and ticks from coming into contact with pets.
- National Football League (NFL) in winning summary judgment against retired players' publicity-rights claims.
- Allied Domecq in obtaining dismissal of ownership claims filed by a Russian Federation entity related to the Stolichnaya trademark.
- A leading international life insurance company in successful settlement of securities litigation arising from its demutualization.
- Induchem in a breach of contract lawsuit with its distributor, Lipo Chemicals, which resulted in a successful settlement just prior to jury selection.
- Defendants in the federal and state court Carbon Black Antitrust Litigation and Vitamins Antitrust Litigation.
- Plaintiff in tying, bundling and monopolization claims against major distributors of medical supplies.
- Bayer in false advertising challenges against Merial and Elanco over advertising for their competitive flea and tick control products for pets.
- BA Sports Nutrition in its defense of false advertising and trade disparagement claims by the makers of Gatorade about marketing materials comparing BODYARMOR Superdrink to Gatorade.
- Pernod Ricard, in litigations in court, the Patent and Trademark Office, and the National Advertising Division involving trademark and advertising claims related to Stolichnaya vodka.
- University of Chicago Law School, 2001, J.D.
- Tufts University, 1998, B.A.